ONT-STORMONT-DUNDAS-GLENGARRY-L Archives

Archiver > ONT-STORMONT-DUNDAS-GLENGARRY > 2001-04 > 0988192949

Subject: [SD&G] Réf. : [SD&G] Re: French surnames & dit names
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 12:02:29 +0200

Hi Melissa,

Although I could be wrong, I don't think you have to go that far.
Jeannot is equivalent to Johnny.

I think the person you're looking at was known to those around him as
"Johnny" Bergeron. Joseph and Marie are very common French catholic given
names, (as well as Jean - John the Baptist). I also think the surnommé
(surnamed) was added to clarify that the dit name was an AKA for Jean and
not Bergeron.

Personally, I would read this entry (translated) as Joseph John
surnamed Bergeron known as Johnny.

Both dit and surnommé are context sensitive in their meaning and
therefore their translation. A surnom in France today generally means a
nickname, but the official definition allows it to be translated to
surname, and it may have had that sense as its primary meaning in Quebec in
1810. Dit can be translated to (also) called, (also) known as, alias,
(also) said, so said, commonly known as, depending on which fits best in
the context.

Of course, the surnommé may have something to do with legitimacy,
either real or that as seen by the RC church (civil or protestant
marriages, second marriage of a divorced mother). These questions are best
posed to the local francophone clergy.

Tom

sur 25/04/2001 01:03:59

Veuillez répondre à

Pour :
cc :
Objet : [SD&G] Re: French surnames & dit names

Another angle is the use of the word "surnommé" in some church records in
the
1810-1820 time frame.

I'm looking at a family where 2 brothers and a sister are all referred to
in
marriage records as "surnommé", which I suspect means "called" as in
illegimate. They all also ended up using the same dit name.

Here's a sample of how one of the brothers is referred to when all of the
names
are strung together: Joseph Jean surnommé Bergeron dit Jeannot. I have to
look for all THREE names (Jean, Bergeron & all variants of Jeannot)!

Melissa