OLD-SOUTH-BURIALS-L Archives

Archiver > OLD-SOUTH-BURIALS > 2006-11 > 1162741816

From: "Susan Slape-Hoysagk" <>
Subject: Re: [OLD-SOUTH-BURIALS] Tombstone Rubbings
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 07:50:16 -0800

A word about tombstone rubbings...this is actually becoming illegal in some
states as it can damage delicate stones (Massachusetts, for example). We
must remember DO NO HARM. If you have to clean an old stone, use a WHITE
synthetic bristle brush only and plain water. If a cleaner is needed, use
only a non-ionic product as anything with sodium is bad for the stone. Also,
a stone should not be cleaned more than once every ten years.

It is better to take a photo - the least invasive method. Trying using a
large mirror(s) to help with lighting and shadows. I carry a spray bottle of
plain water that I use to spritz the stones. You would not believe how a
little water can make letters pop out. Never ever use any chemicals such as
shaving cream, vinegar, bleach, tsp, etc.

Susan