OLD-ENGLISH-L Archives

Archiver > OLD-ENGLISH > 2004-01 > 1073061991

From: "w. cary anderson" <>
Subject: Re: [OEL] Nicholas de la Fontaine dit Wicart
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 10:48:30 -0600

I am very interested in this Nicolas de la Fountaine. I have a Solomon
Fountain b. ca 1758 somewhere. Solomon was a soldier on the American side in
the American Revolution. He is found in NC after the war.

One of my cousins, who was very demanding in her proof, spent years looking
for the ancestry of Solomon Fountain/Fountaine. She found something just
before her death, but I did not get a copy of it. Her obituary stated she
was descended from Nicholas de la Fountaine of Maryland.

Do you have any knowledge of this connection?

Cary Anderson

P.S. In the Vincennes area of Indiana, in the 1700s and early 1800s, the
Catholic church records are full of "dits". It may have been an alias at
the beginning there, but both names with the "dit" were carried on for
several generations in some of the families.