OKELLEY-L Archives

Archiver > OKELLEY > 2010-04 > 1271082900

From: ,
Subject: Re: [OKELLEY] Thomas and James O'Kelly
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 14:50:05 -0000

Author: RickOCeallaig
Surnames: O'Kelley
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.okelley/9.64.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.2.1.3/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

I had a productive weekend. I brought up a new website to focus on Rev James O'Kelley and his mother who I now think must be Mary Chetwode, the daughter of John Chetwode Baron of Oakley. It is well documented with sources and you can view it at http://mary.okelley.org. I am no closer to identifying the unnames brother of James O'Kelley but I know a lot about Rev James.

Remember my post about how I hoped that I didn't learn that my family isn't really O'Kelley, that it is possible the Oakley may have been transformed into O'Kelley? It is very possible that Rev James O'Kelley wasn't an O'Kelley at all, or at least not as we think of it. Before King James created the Baron of Oakley, the land was Okeley not Oakley and it was named after the Lord of OKeley, William de Okeley. I am searching for these records down because it is likely that Mary Chetwode probably married a decendent of William de OKeley. Finding those records are proving to be a little more difficult.

I also think the ships records that I found showing a John and William O'Keley coming to Philly in 1742 are going to be Rev James two sons. I suspect they may have sent them home to meet the family in England and the ships records is recording their return to America via Philadephia.

Important Note: