OK-CEMETERIES-L Archives

Archiver > OK-CEMETERIES > 2006-05 > 1147821666

From: Smiley <>
Subject: Re: [OK-CEM] RE: OK-CEMETERIES-D Digest V06 #51
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 16:21:06 -0700 (PDT)

...Hi Sue...I love your memory of your Mamaw & Papaw's place. I, too have one like that but mine were outside Idabel, OK. Everyone knew where they lives too, as they had been there since before the land run. The Arterbury's are still known to this day even though there is only one lone bachelor there, on the original homeplace. Don't know what is going to happen to the place after he is gone. I am sure one of them will move back, as I hate to think he will be sold.

Now to get back to you...I am researching my ancestors from Buncombe & Haywood Counties, NC. I was told there was an old ROGERS kin that lives just outside of all palces, Leicester. How funny is that? I bet your Grandparents probably knew him or know him, as he has lived there some 90 years. We are having a problem getting any help from out that way. Just thought I'd let ya know that I do indeed know where you are speaking of & love the country where your kin, and mine lived. Good luck with your research and have a wonderful day...

Smiley :-))
Pink, OK

Sue Rose <> wrote:
Smiley, Gene, Tammy,

My grandparents lived out in the mountains in NC on a RR. I started
writing them when I was probably 5 years old. I spent every summer up
in the mountains, too. Their address was so easy to memorize "Mamaw and
Papaw Miller, Rt 2, Leicester..." The mailman knew who Mamaw and Papaw
Miller were even though those hills are crawling with Millers and every
kid called their folks Mamaw and Papaw (I was probably the only kid from
CA)!! Then, one day (in the 1980s) it changed to a house number on the
"Leicester Hwy". I still have to look up their address in my book... I
didn't know it was related to 911. I thought it was just because so
many folks were selling off their tobacco fields to developers or for
trailer parks.

Bummer! No one answered at Harpers Valley Baptist. I'll keep on trying.
They probably take Mondays off!!

Sue Rose

Researching: Torix, Snow, Coots, Peoples, Boman/Bowman, Rose, Morris and
collateral families

"In other words, the right people know how to get to you without too
much difficulty and know whether you welcome visitors or not. I hope
this explains a little better about the 911 and the RR systems. We get
to help pay for it (911), but don't really get the benefit of the
useage..."