OHNOBLE-L Archives

Archiver > OHNOBLE > 2007-02 > 1172238718

Subject: [OHNOBLE] Chapman/Archer/Rowlands/McBride - Connections to JohnnyAppleseed?
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 10:02:55

Addressed to:

A correspondent asked me who was the Archer woman, married to a George
Archer (no dates for either on their tombstone). They were buried in the
Chapman Cemetery in Jackson Twp., Noble Co., OH. Her question was:

What was the relationship of Margaret, wife of George Archer, to the
Chapman and/or Rowlands family?

In summary, I could not establish any relationship to the Chapmans or
Rowlands. George and his wife, Margaret, remain unidentified.

In the process of discussing this, I also considered the unasked question
of whether there was an ARCHER connection to Parley Chapman's brother, John
Chapman, aka Johnny Appleseed.

Here are the sources I consulted to come to the above conclusions:

"Noble County Cemeteries, Noble Co, Ohio," copied by Nola R. Eynon,
Cambridge OH, 1965." p. 3.

Nola Eynon was the editor of a very large book of cemetery readings done by
volunteer staff in Noble Co., OH. She is deceased and a copies of the
readings is now in the Guernsey Co., Noble Co., and Washington Cos. public
liberaries being the Ohio Gen. Soc Chapters' collection in Guernesey Co and
Noble Co and a building dedicated to genealogy in Marietta being a branch
of the Public Library in Marietta, OH. The readings were indexed by Mary
Swann, but the index does not appear often the readings themselves, except
for the copy in the LDS library in Salt Lake. I have a copy of both the
readings and the Index. My ARCHER ancestors come from this area. I've done
extensive research in all the depositories in the 5 county region over the
last 30 years.

The cemetery is in Jackson Twp, Noble Co., OH

This is what Eynon had to say in 1965:

"CHAPMAN CEMETERY"
- [My Note: this is not called the Chapman-Archer Cemetery locally]

"This is located just off U.S. Route 21 below Deter City. It is reported
that relatives of John Chapma, known as Johnny Appleseed, are buried here. A
monument to Johnny Appleseed is erected along U.S. 21, not far from this
cemetery site. Cemetery is on the Corp homestead.

Chapman, Parley 1784-1852
He was born at Leonminister, Mass. March 6, 1784 and died in Noble County
on April 28, 1852.

Margaret, wife of George Archer (no dates)
Rowlands, Sally 1817-1844
Corp, Nancy Brady 1814-1870, wife of Benjamin
Carrothers, James Leonard 1858-1861, Son of G.W. and J.F."

I have a hand written note in my handwriting probably copied from a hand
written note on the original at the LDS library in Salt Lake City:

"No stones left here- only Memorial to John Chapman - Sept 1979."

Sometime before 1985, Noble Co. constructed a Johnny Appleseed Center here
or near the Rt 21 marker mentioned above. U.S. 21 is now Ohio State Rd.
821, probably changing numbers when Interstate 77 was constructed that
runs parallel with old Rt 21 from Belle Valley north of Caldwell south all
the way beyond Dexter City, the entire length of Noble Co., being only
about .5 mile apart.

In 1986, the Noble Co., Chapt of the Ohio Genealogical Society (hereafter
NC Gen. Soc.), published

"Noble County, Ohio, Cemetery Inscriptions Book IV " (Title page)
Cover: "Jackson Township, Noble County, Ohio 1986. (out of print)

p. 2:

"Chapman Cemetery
Located on the hillside on SR-281 just below Dexter City, near the Johnny
Appleseed Memorial Marker. When established it [the cemetery] was probably
Chapman land which was later acquired by the Corp Family.

[GWA comment: I could not verify this with Noble Co., OH deed indexes as
the property was acquired by the CORPS before Noble was formed from Morgan
Co., in 1851. Morgan Co., OH deeds may clarify the chain of title.]

CORP, Parley 28 Apr 1852 ae 68.1.22
CORP, Charles 3 Mar 1863 ae 24, s/o B. & N.
CORP, William L. 9 Sep 1858 ae 24.6.28, s/o G. & N.
ROWLANDS, Sally 11 May 1817-7 Oct 1841, ae 23, w/o Wm. Rowlands

Listed 1980 by Lois Blake"

The Society, in its Jackson Co. OH cemeteries readings, quotes Nola Eynon
as the source but differs as follows:

Archer, Margaret no dates w/o George Archer
(This may be the Margaret listed below - w/o Geo. McBride (says NC. Gen. Soc.))
Rowlands, Sally is omitted
Carrothers, James Leonard 21 Jul 1861, ae 3.2.8, so G.W. & J.F."

[My Note: Eynon was notorious for recording the death dates and calulating
the birth date from age at death. In other readings she copied the stone
exactly if it had only the year of birth and death. But even the NC. Gen.
Soc's version of Eynon is not an accurate quote of Eynon, and added James
Leonard Carrothers's full death date in the paragraph above came another
source.]

NC Gen. Soc. p. 3 listing continued:

"This information was copied by Margaret Hutcheson Ullman and was given to a
cousin Eileen Hutcheson (both CORP descendants).
Writer: Eileen Hutcheson

(GWA note: printed in the NC Gen. Soc. book p. 3 from left to right in a row)

Parley Chapman 28 Apr 1852
68 yrs, a Native of Mass.

Sally , wife of William Rowlands, born 11 May 1812; died Oct 1844
Nancy Brady Wife of Ben. CORP 1814-1870

(my note: New line)

Charles W. son of K. CORP died 30, 18-8
"writer believes this ["-"] to have been unreadable."

(my note: new line reading left to right)

Carrothers James Leonard son of G.W. 21 Jul 1881, 3y.2m.8d
Margaret, wife of George McBride, d. 19 Jul 1874, 18y 1 mo 13d

on p. 3

CORP CEMETERY
"Benjamin Corp came to America 1795 from the Isle of Wight, England. Around
1810 he came to live near Dexter City, Ohio where he spent the rest of his
life (Family History). The Brick house at the junction of State road 339
and State Road 182 still stands and is occupied, (1985). The bricks were made
from clay on the farm and the stone lintels over the windows are hand hewn.
Mr. Corp and his two wives are buried just above the house on the hillside
and to the left a short distance from the Chapman plot.

CORP, Benjamin 5 Nov 1847 ae 90
Esther 26 Jul 1826 ae 70
Margaret 3 Oct 1839, ae 57

The original field stones may still be found there, however, later brown
gravestones were duly engraved and placed to the graves. Then in 1933 these
were set in a concrete footer, making a rectangular monument and topped with
a spire. It was the topic of many a discussion by passerby at one time, but
can no longer be seen from the highway because of extensive growth of briars
and bushes. The home is still the property of a descendant.

Copied by Lois Blake"

(GWA comment: Blake copied the above data summarizing Eynon's narrative. The
only difference is that Eynon says that Benjamin Corp homesteaded and that
his first wife was Esther, 2nd wife Margaret.)

(GWA comment: The NC Gen. Soc. readings has on p. 3 a photo of a obelisk
stone with 2 women and man in middle in front of the stone that is mounted
on the concrete footer.)

Here is an attempt to validate the comment that the Margaret, w/o George
Archer was the same or not the same woman who md. George McBride.

My records:

>From Noble Co., OH Settlement Record Vol 1 1852-1858, p. 262

George W. McBride - Estate Settlement. Margaret McBride appointed
administrator on 9 Nov 1855. Margaret was widow of George Washington McBride,
Deceased. Appraisors appointed: Robert Webber,, A.C. Lawrence and Timothy
Smith.

Conclusions:
The NC Gen. Soc. comment that Margaret, wife of George Archer might have
been the Margaret who md. George McBride is not supported by any evidence I
can find anywhere. It looks like sheer speculation based on the fact the
two women had the same first name.

Not having dates for either Margaret or husband, George Archer, and the
location of the cemetery being at the corner of two counties, Washington
and Noble and the fact that Jackson Twp was formed in 1851 entirely from
Morgan Co. makes a search difficult. Jackson Twp was the only one of Noble
county's townships not to have its boundaries changed when Noble was formed
in 1851.

1. There is no record in primary or secondary sources I've been through in
Noble Co., Monroe (marriages for this period were burned) or Morgan
Cos, OH that there was a George Archer who md. a Margaret. Eynon's
cemetery index does not list him. Martin B. Archer's "Genealogical
History of the Archer Family" F.J. Heer, Columbus, OH 1919 (I have
indexed it) does not list such a pairing and none of the vital records
in Noble Co. list such a couple. Martin's book is probably the "Bible"
when it comes to Archer genealogy in Monroe, Noble and Morgan counties.
I've spent 30 years working to prove or disprove the data in it and it
is generally accurate with some ommissions and spelling errors of names.
Neither the published Noble Co., OH Marriages 1851-1900 nor the Morgan
Co., OH marriages 1819-1898 lists any couple with the names George
Archer and Margaret.

2. The record that a Margaret b. c. 1856 ; d. 19 Jul 1874 md. George
McBride who according to the Settlement Record d. c. Nov 1855, suggests
that the two Margaret's in the Chapman cemetery are different being
married to different spouses. the Margaret who died in 1874 would have
been 1 year old when George in the Settlement Record died.

Because Jackson Twp, Noble Co., OH was formed entirely from Morgan, there
is a Margaret who fits the age of the Margaret who d. in 1874 except she
appears in the in the 1850 census for Morgan Co., OH and is too old to be
the daughter of the head of that household, leaving open the question, is
she the same Margaret who md. George McBride. Her age in the 1850 census
suggests she could have been the same woman but living with him on the
day the 1850 census was taken:

1850 US Census, Morgan Twp (McConnelsville area) of Morgan Co, OH

189
George H. Allen 34 millwright 3200 CT
Altay 24 OH
Byron 7 OH
Isabella 4 OH
Albert Allen 23 Millwright OH
Margaret McBride 18 OH

I could not find a marriage for her as Margaret ALLEN. It's fairly safe to
assume that she was not George Allen's dau he would have been about 16 when
she was born. Therefore, I would assume she was a child of someone else. It
is not certain she is the same one buried in the Chapman cemetery. I could
find no other Margaret McBride (widow) elswhere in the 1860 census for any
of the counties, Morgan, Monroe, Noble or Wasington.

3. There was a marriage in Noble Co., OH of George McBride to M.A. Rucker
on 30 Jun 1877, but a woman who died in 1874 could not have married George
McBride in 1877. I could find no Archer-Rowlands connections in the
counties around Noble either.

4. There could be an Archer connection with the other surnames they are
buried with but I cannot determine who or what they are until I can
identify George and his wife. As a very long shot, there was an
unidentified ARCHER for whom Archer Forks in Independence Twp, Washington
Co., OH was named in the 1790's and these two accounts may be the same
ARCHER but no evidence that his name was George. These two townships lie
just to the south of Jackson Twp, Noble Co., OH

"History of Washington County, Ohio, Cleveland, H.Z. Williams & Bros, 1881
(reprinted by Bookmark, Knightwotn, IN 46148, 1976) :

p. 87:
Independence Township - Archer's Fork Settlement

ARCHER'S FORK SETTLEMENT

The third and last division of the township
(Independence Twp- ed.) is that drained by Archer's
Fork, an area of between twelve and thirteen square
miles. The region lies between the two ridges,
elsewhere described, and furnishes to Archer
several runs, named usually from some owner of the
land through which they run...

Archer's fork is named from an early settler or
squatter, about whose settlement there is a
difference of opinion. One story places Mr. Archer
at the mouth of this stream, another relates that
he was the first settler, or rather the first
squatter in the division of the township now under
consideration. According to tradition Archer
eloped with another man's wife, came to this
secluded region, chose his home about three hundred
yards below the mouth of Cady's run, on the banks
of the main stream,and there lived romantically
with his companion in a hollow sycamore tree, with
no gossiping neighbors to molest or make them
afraid. Whether the pair tired of their solitude
or wished to find some spot more likely to remain
unpeopled by others is not known, but before the
first permanent settler came into this valley, the
couple had taken their departure.

History of Marietta and Washington County, Ohio and Representative Citizens
edited by Martin R. Andrews, Chicago, Biographical Publ. Co., 1902, Vol 1,

p. 496 Independence Township- Archer's Fork Settlement

The third and last division of the township is that
[...]

p. 654:

Lawrence Township [next township to the west of Independence]-

Bear Run, which rises in the highlands in the
south-eastern part of the township and takes a
northwesterly direction, derives its names from an
event in the life of Archer, the hunter. It is said
that on the banks of this stream Archer met a bear
in a hand to paw combat in which the veteran hunter
triumphed, not, however, without receiving severe
injuries. His thigh was horribly minced and his
life was barely saved. Another and more commonly
accepted origin for the name of this stream is that
a bear was killed in the valley through which it
flows in comparatively recent times.

(Lawrence Township) is divided into three surface
slopes, one toward the northwest and emptying its
waters into the Little Muskingum, one toward the
southeast and emptying its waters into the same
stream, and the third in the northwest corner,
sloping toward the west and emptying its waters into
Duck creek. The principal streams of the
southwestward slope are Cow Run, Bear Run, and
Archer's Fork. Cow Run,...rises on the ridge in the
southeastern part of the township, flows westerly
and empties into the Little Muskingum about one mile
from the Newport township line....

6. There is a Chapman/Archer connection but not one of blood line.

From: The Pictorial History of Fort Wayne Indiana by B.J. Griswold,
Robert O. Law Co., Chicago, 1917 (reprinted by Unigraphic, Inc.,
4400 Jackson Ave., Evansville, IN 47715, 1971), pp. 371-372, 566

John Chapman, better known as "Johnnie Appleseed", died 11 Mar 1843 at the
home of William Worth. The body was put in a plain board coffin and
interred in the David Archer (1788-1861) burying ground. The exact location
of the grave was lost until 1912 when the remains together with a fragment
of the box were discovered as a "new" grave was being dug. Chapman's
remains were replaced and the second body was placed directly above them.
In 1912 the Archer burying ground was located at "Stop 3" on the electric
line running between Fort Wayne and Robison Park.

(GWA Note: The David Archer cemetery is located in Section 25 of Washington
Twp., Allen Co., IN about 2 1/2 miles north of Fort Wayne, on the west bank
of the St. Joseph river. He was born in Philadelphia, PA and migrated to
Montgomery Co, OH and then to Allen Co., IN. He is not related in any way
to anyone in SE Ohio where John Chapman's brother lived.)

From: The Valley of the Upper Maumee, Brant & Fuller, 1889, pp. 209-210

..About the year 1828, Jonathan Chapman, or "Daddy Appleseed," established
a nursery and sold fruit trees. In 1829, David Archer brought a number of
apple trees from Ohio, and these were set out in the pioneer orchards.

I would like to have any information on this "lost couple" George and
Margaret Archer.

George W. Archer

This thread: