OHJACKSO-L Archives

Archiver > OHJACKSO > 2011-06 > 1307659396

From: Anthony Coyan <>
Subject: Re: [OHJACKSO] First Families of Jackson county
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 18:43:16 -0400

Ann,

It's ironic that you mention the Phillips and McGhee family pioneers. In the
next issue of the JCOGS newsletter, to be issued in about 3 weeks, there is
a 1915 newspaper bio of the James (ca 1774-1822) and Elizabeth
Lewis Phillips family who settled in Jackson county ca 1814.

There is also a lengthy obit for, including a picture of, pioneer John S.
McGhee (ca 1824-1911), who is said to have been born in the county ca 1824.

You might want to consider becoming a member of the JCOGS - if you aren't
already - in order to get this and other issues of *Poplar Row* to come.

Regarding the First Families of Jackson county, I am very pleased to say
that Darlene Ford - a Jackson county native - who is the President-Elect of
the Franklin County Genealogical & Historical Society, as well as their
Lineage Society Chairperson, has agreed to serve in an advisory role to help
the JCOGS get our First Families org up and running.

Also, our former JCOGS chapter president Mike Deaterla, a certified
professional genealogist, will be serving on the FF committee in order to
help screen applications.

For those interested in applying when that time comes, please keep in mind
that it will be the responsibility of the applicant to submit the necessary
documentation for proof of descendancy from a Jackson county Pioneer
resident once we have established the guidelines, which will be generic to
most heritage organizations.

http://www.jacksoncountyohiogen.com/Membership%20page.htm

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 5:17 PM, Ann Hinton <> wrote:

> Anthony count me in: Willis, McGhee, Springer, Leach and Phillips. Phillips
> and McGhees definitely in area in 1830. Need to check dates on Willis and
> Springers (Springers were in Ross County)
> Ann Willis Hinton

This thread: