OHJACKSO-L Archives

Archiver > OHJACKSO > 2010-02 > 1267211082

From: "Charles R. Weese" <>
Subject: Re: [OHJACKSO] "New" Rev War patriot surnames for Jackson county
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 14:04:42 -0500

--
Does this look like the Isaac Hartley you mention? Here are three
generations. I have more generations of his descendants. The numbers in

First Generation

1. Philip HARTLEY was born (date unknown).

Philip HARTLEY and Mary SIFORD were married. Mary SIFORD was born (date
unknown).

Philip HARTLEY and Mary SIFORD had the following child:

+2i.Isaac HARTLEY, born 1799, Ohio or Virginia; married Catherine
CLARK, bef 1840; died abt 1845, Jackson County, Ohio.

Second Generation

2. Isaac HARTLEY (Philip-1) was born in 1799 in Ohio or Virginia.1–3
1930 Census for Catherine Grow says her father was born in Virginia. He
died about 1845 at the age of 46 in Jackson County, Ohio.3

Isaac HARTLEY and Catherine CLARK were married before 1840.3 Catherine
CLARK, daughter of Daniel CLARK and Eve BORER, was born about 1800 in
Montgomery County, Kentucky.3

Isaac HARTLEY and Catherine CLARK had the following child:

+3i.Mary Catherine HARTLEY, born 25 Mar 1837, Ohio; married John
Henry GROW, 16 Jan 1858, Jackson County, Ohio; died 19 Feb 1938.

Third Generation

3. Mary Catherine HARTLEY (Isaac-2, Philip-1) was born on 25 Mar 1837
in Ohio.1,4 She appeared in the census of 1900 in Liberty Twp., Jackson
County, Ohio.5 Both her parents are listed as born in Ohio. She was the
mother of four children, all of them still living. She can read but not
write. She can speak English. She was enumerated at John W. Grow's
house. She appeared in the census of 1920 in Liberty Twp., Jackson
County, Ohio. She was counted at the home of her son John. Mary appeared
in the census of 1930 in Liberty Twp., Jackson County, Ohio.6 She was
enumerated at John W. Grow's home on State Route 124 as mother. She
lived on a farm and was 93 years old. She was widowed. She did not
attend school since September 1, 1929 and could read and write. She was
born in Ohio, her father was born in Virginia, her mother was born in
Ohio. She could speak English. She had no occupation. She died on 19
Feb 1938 at the age of 100.4 She was buried after 19 Feb 1938 in McCune
Cemetery - Liberty Twp., Jackson County, Ohio.4,7 Her tombstone is
inscribed "100 Yr. 10 Mo. 24 Da.".

Mary Catherine HARTLEY and John Henry GROW were married on 16 Jan 1858
in Jackson County, Ohio.4,8 John Henry GROW, son of Levi GROW and Lucy
DAFT, was born in 1835 in Ohio.1,4 He served in the military before
1865.4 His tombstone is inscribed "One of the 75000 of Lincoln's First
Call for Volunteers. Re-enlisted in 36th O.V.I. Died in service Oct. 16,
1865". He died on 16 Oct 1865 at the age of 30 in Marietta, Cobb County,
Georgia.3–4 He died in the Civil War. John was buried after 16 Oct 1865
in Marietta National Cem. - Marietta, Cobb County, Georgia.3–4,7 He also
has a tombstone in McCune Cemetery with his wife, Catherine.

John Henry GROW and Mary Catherine HARTLEY had the following children:

+4i.John Wesley GROW, born 12 Jul 1865, Liberty Twp., Jackson County,
Ohio; married Ida Idora RUSSELL, 11 Nov 1886; died 13 Sep 1945, Liberty
Twp., Jackson County, Ohio.
+5ii.Eliza Ann GROW, born bef 1880; married John Wesley ALLEN; died
bef 1945.
+6iii.Sarah Catherine GROW, born bef 1880; married Jonathan
REISINGER; died bef 1945.
+7iv.George Washington GROW, born 4 Nov 1857, Scioto County, Ohio;
married Sarah E. KIGHT; died 12 Mar 1934, Liberty Twp., Jackson County,
Ohio.

1. US Census 1900, Population Schedule, Ohio, Jackson Co., Liberty
Twp., Enumeration district ??, Reel 1289. (National Archives,
Washington, DC), Page ??, John W. Grow family, family # 30.
2. US Census 1930, Population Schedule, Ohio, Jackson Co., Liberty
Twp., Enumeration district 40-9, Reel 1828., page 1A.
3. Web site: www.familysearch.org.
4. Tombstone Inscription, McCune Cemetery, Jackson County Ohio.
5. US Census 1900, Population Schedule, Ohio, Jackson County (National
Archives, Washington, DC), Liberty Twp., page 141B (2B).
6. US Census 1930, Population Schedule, Ohio, Jackson Co., Liberty
Twp., Enumeration district 40-9, Reel 1828., page 1B, ED # 40-9,
enumerated 2 April 1930, family #13.
7. E-mail from Phil Grow <> 08 March 1999.
8. Compilers: Mary J. Queen & Frances W. Hixon, Marriages in Jackson
County Ohio 1816-1866 (same, 1984), page 29.
Charles R. Weese, Jackson, OH

I maintain the following USGenWeb county sites:
Gallia County Ohio at
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ohgallia/gallia.htm
Jackson County Ohio at
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ohjackso/jackson.htm
Vinton County Ohio at
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ohvinton/vinton.htm
I am also the listowner of the Jackson County mailing list:

and the Vinton County mailing list:
however, someone else has the Gallia County mailing list.

This thread: