OHGEN-L Archives

Archiver > OHGEN > 2006-05 > 1146513941

From: Denny Shirer <>
Subject: Re: [OHGEN] Heritage Census Available for all
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 16:05:41 -0400

Robert and all,

Even though I think that link to the other census project should appear
on the OHGenWeb site, bottom line is that that site is Sandy's and not
ours. She became the admin when she took over as SC and the content is
strictly up to her. We can make suggestions but she is the one that
controls what appears or not.

If on the other hand we pass a bylaw that requires that the membership
of OHGenWeb can have an active voice in what appears or not then she
wold have to listen to us but then we would have to vote on every little
change she makes which would probably end up with the site becoming
dormant as no one would want to have to go through committee to make any
changes to their site.

There are certain things she is required to do by USGenWeb and those
have been done. Since neither of the census projects are part of
USGenWeb, anymore, inclusion of a link to them is completely voluntary
for any GenWeb admin. USGenWeb only has a sub project for census images
right now. Here is what they say on their projects page about the census
transcription projects:

"The Census Projects - There are two census projects. Both call
themselves USGenWeb Census Projects, but neither are associated with The
USGenWeb Project."

I don't know how many others have noticed but there certainly has been a
lack of participation in the transcription projects and one reason is
more than likely that more people are getting access to online census
images either through Heritage Quest or some other provider. I for one
have stopped doing transcriptions for my own county as there is not much
interest. I have even volunteered to do lookups and have not gotten many
requests which tells me people are finding them on their own. I for one
would rather see the original image rather than some person's
transcription especially in cases where the text is in question.

So, all you can do is suggest that Sandy include that link and if she
doesn't want to, I wouldn't beat a dead horse.

Denny Shirer - - Canton, OH
Muskingum County, OHGenWeb - http://www.rootsweb.com/~ohmuskin/

This thread: