OHGEN-L Archives

Archiver > OHGEN > 2005-10 > 1129040736

From: Denny Shirer <>
Subject: Re: [OHGEN] Denny's Google map
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 10:25:36 -0400

Thanks Sue. I'd like to take all the credit but Google's API is the star
here. All I did was use their code and write a wrapper around it for the
HTML. Well I did add a few embellishments but the Google map API and the
folks that created it deserve the bulk of the credit. I think it is a
wonderful tool for genealogists and the thing I get the most requests
for are cemetery locations and since creating this map, those requests
have dropped to zero and instead of the requests I get thank yous from
the users.

There are endless uses for these maps. Anyone wanting to explore some of
the other uses should go to Google and read some of the Map API
discussion group posts or go to the following blog which lists many
examples and up to date news on Google Maps:

http://googlemapsmania.blogspot.com/

I've seen some people using these maps to track their ancestors
migrations and timeline locations so there are even more uses for the
genealogist than feature locations.

Have fun and thanks for the props!

Denny Shirer - - Canton, OH
Muskingum County, OHGenWeb - http://www.rootsweb.com/~ohmuskin/