OHGEN-L Archives

Archiver > OHGEN > 1999-06 > 0930803272

From: "James McCluer" <>
Subject: Re: [OHGEN-L] Yahoo!
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 23:27:52 -0500

Wally,

Nice try by Yahoo, but it contradicts what is in their terms of service.
Also, you cannot access your website unless you update your password.
(this also includes deletion of data.) To get a password you must agree
to the Terms of Service as stated. In other words, agree to what we
have written in the Terms of Service or you can't use geocities to close
down your web site. I agree with the last statement. But, they do not
even provide an easily accessible email for complaints on this matter.

Some Online Service Providers make it easy to send email to say, okay
I'm quiting and have removed data from my website. Yahoo has not given
this option, so in my opinion their motives are suspect.

Read the actual Terms of Service agreement again below. Perpetual?
irrevocable? Incorporate works into any form? Sheesh <grin> Perpetual
and irrevocable means even after I leave geocities.

"By submitting Content to any Yahoo property, you automatically grant,
or warrant that the owner of such Content has expressly granted, Yahoo
the royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive and fully
sublicensable right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt,
publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform
and display such Content (in whole or part) worldwide and/or to
incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology now
known or later developed"

Jim McCluer