OHBELMON-L ArchivesArchiver > OHBELMON > 2005-06 > 1119270680
From: "Stephen Fox" <>
Subject: Looking for Gottlieb FOX (b. Dec 1846, Germany; d. 19 Jul 1903, OH)
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 07:31:20 -0500
The oldest FOX ancestor that I have is Gottlieb FOX. My grandfather
maintained that the family name was originally FUCHS.
Gottlieb Fox was born Dec 1846 in Germany. He immigrated to the United
States before 1867. On 12 Sep 1867, he married Louisa EBERLE, another
German immigrant, in Belmont County, Ohio. The family then moved to
Tennessee. The family returned to Belmont County, Ohio in 1876, where
Gottlieb was employed as a shearer in one of the local glass factories.
Louisa died 3 Jan 1903 while Gottlieb died 19 Jul 1903.
The 1900 Federal Census indicates that Gottlieb and Louisa had ten
children, six of which were still living:
* Fritze FOX (b. Jan 1876, TN)
* George FOX (b. Oct 1876, OH)
* Charles H. FOX (b. Jun 1881, OH)
* Edward FOX (b. 14 May 1885, OH)
* Henry FOX (b. Mar 1889, OH)
* Minia "Minnie" FOX (b. Dec 1892, OH)
I have found very little documentation:
* Belmont, Ohio, marriage record
* 1900 Federal Census for Belmont, Ohio
* Cemetery records
I am still looking for additional census records that may indicate the
names of the other children as well as where the family was located in
Tennessee. Also, I haven't been able to track many of the children:
- I haven't found anything definite for Fritze or George.
- Charles Fox was living in Bellaire, Belmont, Ohio, through 1920. He
then moved to Weirton Heights, Hancock, WV. He married Bessie May
ANDERSON on 10 Feb 1904.
- Edward Fox was living in Bellaire through 1920.
- Henry Fox was living in Bellaire through 1910. He had married Myra
and they had a girl, Evalene.
- Minnie Fox was living in Bellaire through 1930. She married Samuel
James SHERWOOD on 12 Aug 1911.
If you have any more information, please help me out.
|Looking for Gottlieb FOX (b. Dec 1846, Germany; d. 19 Jul 1903, OH) by "Stephen Fox" <>|