OH-CLEVELAND-IRISH-L Archives

Archiver > OH-CLEVELAND-IRISH > 2012-01 > 1326235766

From: <>
Subject: [OH-CLEVELAND-IRISH] Irish Military Archives Online
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 15:49:26 -0700

Hi All,

I received this information from a friend at the Irish Military
Archives. The infamous "Witness Statements" for participants in the War
of Independence and Civil War 1916-1922 will be put online in March
2012. The documents include over 36,000 pages from 1,773 statements by
men and women who were “eye-witnesses” to the fight for Ireland's
Independence.

* Irish Times article
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0103/1224309736108.html

* Background information on the history of the collection
http://www.theeasterrising.eu/087_BMH/B_MHistory.htm

* Index of contributers:
http://www.militaryarchives.ie/fileadmin/user_upload/documents/The_Bureau_of_Military_History_1913-1921_Index_to_Contributors.pdf

On a side note, I've been researching the Mayo contribution to the War
of Independence and subsequent civil war. There are a few counties
(Cork, Kerry) that have very good websites dedicated to the volunteers,
but Mayo's information is not readily available on the web. I am trying
to assemble a list of volunteers along with their rank, active service
records (ambushes, battles, flying columns), and other contributions.
If anyone has any personal history they would like to share, please
contact me.

I'll send another message when the collection is available.

Happy Hunting!

Bernie McCafferty

This thread: