OH-CLEVELAND-IRISH-L Archives

Archiver > OH-CLEVELAND-IRISH > 2012-01 > 1326029202

Subject: [OH-CLEVELAND-IRISH] Identify uniform?
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 08:26:42 -0500 (EST)

Subject: Can anyone either identify a military uniform, or suggest places where such help can be had?

Problem: The family photo box--containing scores of unmamrked photos, of course. These include the photo of a man in uniform, Distinguishing details include:

- A pillbox hat with visor

--A hat emblem of crossed rifles with the digit 15 above the "X" and the letter A below.

-Two elaborate medals on his chest.? Both are difficult to see in detail, though one is of such importance that it was worn in another photo in which the man is wearing formal clothes. (It hangs on the vest, and is only partially revealed.

- The photo was taken in Cleveland, is on cardboard. Name of the photographer is A. D. Burk.

- Additional information. I took this to Grays Armory, base of the Civil War Cleveland Grays. I thought that it could have been a Civil War uniform. I was told by the director of that organization that it wasn't a Federal uniform . Many states had their own designs, and, after the war, many of these units continued on as fraternal organizations.

Oh, the man was Irish, though probably born in Pennsylvania. He came to Cleveland when he was 20, or so.

Any help or suggestions are welcome.

* * * * *

Words to sad wisdom: Genealogy is more than digging through records because we don't mark our family pictures.

This thread: