NYWYOMIN-L Archives

Archiver > NYWYOMIN > 2006-09 > 1158597871

From: "Linda Dabulewicz" <>
Subject: [NYWYOMIN] Dr Disbrow, James Kelly and Joshua Kelly
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 12:44:31 -0400

Hello List ,
This is my first post to this list and I am afraid I have lots of questions for you.
I have been researching my Kelly family. Here is the information that I have so far.
James and Joshua Kelly were born in Vermont, according to several census'. James and Joshua were participants in the war of 1812. James was 18 years old during the first part of the war. After the end of the war, James studied to become a doctor under Dr. Disbrow in Attica , New York. Sorry the article did not give Dr Disbrow's first name. After James apprentiship he had his first practise in Gainsville. In 1823 James moved to Tunkhannock, Wyoming County, Pennsylvania. James and joshua were very close in Tunkhannock so I am guessing they followed similar migration patterns. Joshua's daughter married Powers Wilcox Redfield who was born in Bainbridge, Chenango County, New York. The Redfields moved to Tunkhannock in 1840.
Joshua was a hatter by trade. He made wool and fur hats. Adocument at the Wyoming Historical Society in Pennsylvania states that both Joshua and Dr James collected pensions from the War of 1812. I searched Ancestry.com and did not find my pair listed.

Could someone confirm that there was a Dr Disbrow living in Attica after 1812? Are there any documents available in Wyoming County New York that might list a Doctor or apprentice in that era? Were there Vermonters participating in the seige of Fort Niagra?
Thanks for your patience.
Sorry spell check is down.
Linda

This thread: