NYSUFFOL-L Archives

Archiver > NYSUFFOL > 2004-02 > 1077287331

From: "Alison C. Wallner" <>
Subject: [NYSUF] Tarman's Neck
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:28:51 -0500

Wow! Thanks to all of you who responded to my query about the location of Tarman's Neck!

I found a 1933 paper, "History of Brookhaven Village", which was written by Osborn Shaw of Bellport for the Fireplace Literary Club. I have included the part about "Tar-men's Neck" below. (For anyone interested in the early Brookhaven history, this paper is very informative:
http://prometheusli.com/hamlet/history/OsborneShaw3.htm )
This is why I am inclined to think that the location is on the South shore, near Fireplace and Bellport. But I have been unable to find anything to confirm Mr. Shaw's information, and have found no reference anywhere to "Wawcoruck" - or a name that even resembles it. I have looked at maps until I am cross-eyed :) Mr. Shaw's description is not very helpful in this respect. Maybe it will make sense to someone who is familiar with this area.

Alison
Tar-men's Neck Reference below:

The South Side tract became known as the "Old Purchase at South", and on it are located the western part of South Haven, called Little Neck and all of the villages of Fire Place and Bellport. It was bounded as follows: Beginning at the mouth of the Connecticut River, at Long Point (Woodhull's Point it was formerly called) and from thence running up along the west bank of the river to Yaphank Creek (or Barteau Creek it is known today) in the western part of South Haven, thence up and along an imaginary north and south straight line, called the Yaphank Line, to the middle of the Island; from thence west-wardly along the middle of the Island to where it meets a north and south line leading from a certain little fresh pond, now called Pond Ditch, located in the south western part of the meadow on the former Lyman estate in the extreme west part of Bellport; from thence eastwardly along the shore of the Bay to Long or Woodhull's Point, the place of beginning. Included in this !
immense tract of meadow and upland, there are six necks of land each divided by a stream of water. Naming them from from east to west, the necks are: Little Neck, Fire Place Neck, Tar-men's Neck, Dayton's Neck, Occumbomuck Neck and Starr's Neck. Little Neck forms the western part of South Haven; Fire Place Neck, Tar-men's Neck and the larger part of Dayton's Neck, are in the village of Fire Place while the western part of Dayton's Neck with Occumbomuck Neck and Starr's Neck make up Bellport.

I must now tell you something of the other two Necks -- Tar-men's Neck and Dayton's Neck to which the name "Fire Place" was in later years generally applied -- the three necks making up the village. Tar-men's Neck is the relatively small tract, south of the Head-of-the-Neck line that lies between Beaver Dam Creek on the east and the Otter Swamp and Otter Hollow on the west. The neck comes to a point at the junction of Otter Creek and Fire Place Creek south east of the Methodist church property -- the Otter Creek being the one where Clinton Smith now has a winter storage for small boats. The swamp and creek were evidently much larger than they are today and probably extended across the Montauk Highway through the hollow south west of the late Mrs. Edward Raynor's and north east of Mrs. Post's corner. It was also called Tar-men's Swamp.
Tar-men's Neck derives its name from the fact that tar was made from the pine trees of the vicinity and the tar-men had a house in the Neck, some time prior to 1678. According to tradition, the house or shack stood a little east of the centre of the neck, probably in the immediate neighbourhood (sic) of Mrs. Amy d' Arcas' place. The manufacture of tar and turpentine was carried on quite extensively in the Town at a very early date. By 1715, it had grown to such an extent that the trustees put a duty of "a bit" for every barrel of tar and ten shillings for each barrel of turpentine made in the Town. That they had difficulty in collecting the duty, is evident from that fact that on 2 Dec. 1717, they met for the expressed purpose of calling those men to account that had made or "run tar" upon Town lands, to pay the money they were owing.

Alison

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~wallner

This thread: