NYSUFFOL-L Archives

Archiver > NYSUFFOL > 2002-03 > 1016460961

From: "David Roberts" <>
Subject: Re: [NYSUFFOL] Re: Newtown, NY, Suffolk County
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 09:16:28 -0500

And whatever the Newtown community in Brookhaven was, it was never a Town.
The Town was Brookhaven. The Town of Newtown was in Queens County ...
period. I just can't see why the LDS is resisting this fact of history &
geography. Newtown, Queens County, became a postoffice on 18 June 1829 &
kept that name until 15 February 1896 when it became Elmhurst.
The only Newtowns in New York State to be post offices was one in Tioga
County 1800-1809 and the one in Queens County 1929-1896. The Newtown in
Tioga County is now Elmira, N. Y., although the county line changed in 1836
& Elmira is now in Chemung County.
David