NYSUFFOL-L Archives

Archiver > NYSUFFOL > 2002-03 > 1016305348

From: "David Roberts" <>
Subject: [NYSUFFOL] Newtown, NY, Suffolk County
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 14:02:28 -0500

Sounds like the source of this misinformation was the LDS Church.
The LDS files the old Town of Newtown under Suffolk County, even though it
never was in Suffolk & is the Queens County Town the most distant from the
Suffolk County line.
I brought this up to the reference desk at Salt Lake Family History Library
in 1995 & was told, rather rudely, that Newtown was in Suffolk County.
That's one of the very few times I was not politely treated by the folks out
there.
After I started working [97-98] at the local LDS FHC, my "supervisor" sent a
number of messages to Salt Lake about this, but the last I looked Newtown is
still in Suffolk County according to the LDS, where it never has been.
Because of this mis-filing, Newtown events on Ancestral File tend to show up
in Suffolk County.
Somehow this correction is not making its way thru' proper channels in Salt
Lake & people looking for events in Newtown are off into a different county.
David