NYSUFFOL-L Archives

Archiver > NYSUFFOL > 2002-02 > 1014649678

From: "NLColeman" <>
Subject: Re: [NYSUFFOL] St. Joseph's Cemetery.
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 10:10:11 -0500

Dear Catherine:

No, you cannot interlibrary loan the NY State Vital Records Indexes. They
are available only in three places (soon to be four, but I'll get to that in
a minute) that I know of:

New York State Archives-Albany
New York State Department of Health-Albany
National Archives NE Region-Manhattan

And (before someone asks :)), no, NARA will not do lookups in the index, and
no, the NY State Archives will no longer do mail request searches. You
either have to physically go to the Archive or hire a researcher.

Now, I just received a press release from the NYS Archives that says it has
been arranged for a copy of these indexes (birth to 1909, death to 1949 &
marriage to 1937) to be housed at the Central Library, 447 South Salina
Street, Syracuse beginning March 1, 2002. They will be housed in the Local
History/Genealogy Dept. and there will be access restrictions and will be
made under special security conditions. Which probably means you have to
register as a researcher, show ID, etc.

So, you mid-staters will now have access to these indexes!

Good luck and best regards. Nancy.