NYSUFFOL-L Archives

Archiver > NYSUFFOL > 2000-12 > 0976812260

From: "NColeman" <>
Subject: Re: [NYSUFFOL] Researching Long Island
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 11:44:20 -0500

Dear Ceal:
You're very welcome. Just keep in mind (everyone) that Long
Island is a physical place, not a municipal jurisdiction,
and is made up of four counties now; Queens, Kings
(Brooklyn), Nassau, and Suffolk. Before 1899, Nassau was
the eastern half of Queens County (therefore there were only
three counties of Long Island prior to this).

Two of the four counties are now a part of New York City.
Two others are not (Nassau & Suffolk).

None of Long Island was a part of New York City until
consolidation in 1898. A VERY important date to remember.

In old records, references to Kings and Queens County
locations will almost always also say: Long Island. Like:
Jamaica, Long Island (which is Queens). Although the name
itself (Long Island) is a physical, not political place
(county, town, etc.), all locations on the island were
treated with this special denotation for centuries before
any part of it was associated with "the City."

Best regards. Nancy.
NColeman

NYC/Long Island Family History Research Services:
http://www.genealogyPro.com/ncoleman.html
County Coordinator for the Nassau GenExchange:
http://www.genexchange.org/county.cfm?state=ny&county=nassau
Irish Family History Forum - VP Membership
http://www.ifhf.org email: