NYSUFFOL-L Archives

Archiver > NYSUFFOL > 2000-12 > 0976725357

From: "NColeman" <>
Subject: Re: [NYSUFFOL] Researching Long Island
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 11:35:57 -0500

Dear Ceal:
No, Madnan's Neck is just that, not Madman's. It is what is
today Great Neck, Town of North Hempstead, Nassau County.
Cow Neck is what is today Port Washington and Manhasset,
Town of North Hempstead, Nassau County.

However, you have to put things into historical perspective.
At one time the village center of Manhasset was at the head
of Manhasset Bay with Madnan's Neck on one side and Cow Neck
on the other. So, Cow Neck or Madnan's could be used as a
rough "border" for a location, and very often was -
sometimes erroneously.

Time line:
The Town of North Hempstead was a part of Queens County
until 1898 when Queens became a part of New York City and
Nassau County was formed independent of the city. The three
towns that seceded (finding their home county half in and
half out of NYC) were North Hempstead, Hempstead, and Oyster
Bay. They make up Nassau today.

Further, the Town of North Hempstead was formed from the
Town of Hempstead in 1784. So, for the period before that,
you would look to the Town of Hempstead for any reference in
Town Records that may involve that area.

For the period you are interested in, the whole area was
Town of Hempstead, Queens County. Any documents you seek
will be held by the Queens Surrogate's Court (probates) or
the Finance Dept. of NYC (Queens) for deeds. And, as
previously mentioned, the Town of Hempstead for any records
they may hold.

Here are some sites to give you a little history and
geography background on Manhasset:
http://manhasset.org/history/
Great Neck:
http://www.lihistory.com/spectown/hist0029.htm
Formation of "Greater" NYC:
http://www.lihistory.com/lihj/lihj98.htm

The last two are from Newsday's "Long Island Our Story"
series which, if you want to read further, will also be
helpful in giving you a general idea of the history and
geography of the area.

That should get you started. Also, I do recommend getting a
good map. But, keep in mind that the borders in 1720 may
not be the borders or names of places today.

Best regards. Nancy.

NColeman

NYC/Long Island Family History Research Services:
http://www.genealogyPro.com/ncoleman.html
County Coordinator for the Nassau GenExchange:
http://www.genexchange.org/county.cfm?state=ny&county=nassau
Irish Family History Forum - VP Membership
http://www.ifhf.org email: