NYRENSSE-L Archives

Archiver > NYRENSSE > 2007-01 > 1169243038

From: "Bradford Miter" <>
Subject: Re: [NYRENSSE] Where is Barbara Jeffries's website?
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 16:43:58 -0500

>>Not sure if that is the answer. I would never leave my info that I spent
50
years working on to a site (owned by others that charge for info gathered
and
researched by others). I would give it to a Historical Association that I
was
close to or leave it with a relative who cared.<<

Pat,
I can understand your reticence. However, I believe both Rootsweb and
USGENWeb are considered to be 'Free Access' by their charter. Isn't
USGENWeb now hosted by Rootsweb or Ancestry? Even if they become
commercial, better to have them online than on a CD or Computer at a
historical society. I myself lack a relative who would likely keep them
available. Much better to place any files at a place that would likely
survive into the future. Even if Ancestry.com went belly-up, somebody would
buy the files and keep them available.

However, giving them also to an historical association is a good idea.

Brad

Not sure if that is the answer. I would never leave my info that I spent 50

years working on to a site (owned by others that charge for info gathered
and
researched by others). I would give it to a Historical Association that I
was
close to or leave it with a relative who cared.

Pat
====NY-RENSSE Mailing List====
Check out the mailing list's website at:
http://www.connorsgenealogy.com/NYRensse/
Add/check you Rensselaer County surnames on the surname registry at:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~nyrenss2/
(under Links)