NYQUEENS-L Archives

Archiver > NYQUEENS > 2000-04 > 0956160367

From: "Elizabeth Cardinal" <>
Subject: Re: [QUEENS] death certificate/NY City House B I
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 12:06:07 -0400

<<Premises Institution and Hospital;>>

I think that clinches it. She died on Blackwells in either one of the
institutions or in one of the hospitals. More than likely no one in her
family could take care of her for any number of reasons so there was no
choice...indigent care.

If she was in what was once referred to as an insane asylum it does not
neccesarily mean "Insane" by todays laymens definitions.

What we now call Dementia and/or Altzheimers was also called senility which
was also very misunderstood and called insanity.

I mention this for so many people become upset when they learn an ancestor
was described as insane or living in a mental hospital. We learned that my
great uncle was institutionalized...first in King County and then in
Binghamton psychiatric Hospital. When I researched the matter I found that
he was slightly mentally retarded, acted inappropriately to some "bad" news
and his father committed him. That was easily done at the turn of the 20th
century. His death certificate listed the cause of death as Myocardial
Infarction and secondary cause ...insanity.

Peace,

Elizabeth

Elizabeth V. Cardinal

http://www.geocities.com/wellesley/garden/4548

A dialogue list for former members of religious
communities of women only.

This thread: