NYNEWYOR-L Archives

Archiver > NYNEWYOR > 2011-11 > 1322683001

Subject: Re: [NYNEWYOR] 1894 Catholic Church???
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 14:56:41 -0500 (EST)

Thank you for responding, Theresa, and for some great tips.
Please read CAPS below.
Barb
--------------------

writes:
> Several thoughts.
>
> 1. Where were the mother's relatives? Is it at all possible the child was
> baptized in the parish of the grandparents, for example?

> MY QUESTION PERTAINED TO 1st CHILD, JOHN J. BURKE. SINCE ALL 4 CHILDREN'S
BIRTH CERTIFICATES SAY "MOTHER'S NAME BEFORE MARRIAGE," NOT MAIDEN NAME,
AND FAMILY LORE IS THAT THEIR MOM WAS A CHILDLESS WIDOW, BEFORE MARRYING THEIR
FATHER [BURKE], I CAN'T TRUST THIS ROUTE. CAN YOU IMAGINE HOW MANY RECORDS
I SEARCHED TO FIND THIS CHILD's BIRTH---"JOHN BURKE?" HUNDREDS.

> 2. Confirming earlier message, child of mine had an emergency baptism at
> the hospital in the early nineties. Two years later no record could be
> found of it. So things can definitely slip through the cracks.
>
> 3. I think that when the person married, the church in which they married
> was supposed to send back to the baptismal parish of record info that the
> sacrament had been given. Perhaps there might be some record at the
> church
> were your ancestor was married about what church this was?

THAT'S TRUE FOR THE PAST MANY YEARS, BUT NOT THEN. I DON'T KNOW WHERE
COUPLE MARRIED. I'VE BEEN "AT" THIS BURKE FAMILY OVER 30 YEARS! MY MOM'S
GRANDPARENTS. FIRST CHILD DIED 1902, MOTHER DIED
1908, FATHER DIED 1909. SURVIVING SON & 2 DAUs SENT FROM GREENWICH VILLAGE
TO DOMINICAN SISTERS OF BLAUVELT IN ROCKLAND COUNTY, WHO DENIED BURKE
CHILDREN WERE INMATES, 3x OVER 20 YEARS!

> These are just random ideas. I hope you find your baptism. Thank you for
> reminding me that I have to go figure out where my Great Grandfather might
> have been baptised, and where his parents might have married...
>
> Theresa
>
> ========================
> DATE OF BIRTH: 5 SEPT 1894----have birth certificate
PLACE of BIRTH: 311 East 60th St., NY, NY 10022 [have photo]

Today this address is at the foot of the 59th Street Bridge (also known as
Queensborough Bridge), across the tram from Roosevelt/Blackwell's Island.

The zip code is irregular for the neighborhood, so Manhattan List of
Catholic
Churches by ZIP CODE created by Charles Sullivan does not work.

The church in question was probably Irish.

Our Lady of Peace does not have it. They had mainly Slovak members.

St. John the Evangelist, definitely was an Irish parish, but Father Joseph
phoned me and they do not have it.

This thread: