NYNEWYOR-L Archives

Archiver > NYNEWYOR > 2005-03 > 1111193831

Subject: Re: 1900 Census Lookup - Marnowitz/Smuzik
Date: 18 Mar 2005 17:57:11 -0700

Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/an/TUB.2ACI/4354.2

Message Board Post:

There are printed lists of enrolled voters of New York City which are filed at the New York Public Library. These contain addresses. They are in geographical arrangement by borough and Assembly District (A.D.). There is no reason to assume the spelling of the ethnic surnames is any better than on other documents.

In 1971, I went through some of these lists, and the address 133 Suffolk St. occurred in the 1909 and 1910 lists within the 8th A.D., thereunder the 15th E.D.

163 Suffolk occurred in the 1900 list in the 10th A.D., 5th E.D. The address you are interested in was between Grand and Broome Streets, and may not be in the same E.D. as the addresses I have mentioned,---if the population density was high enough to limit one block to one E.D.

I never checked to see if the New York State Census of 1905 used the same district numbers as the 1905 list of enrolled voters. Many of the residents of the Lower East Side of Manhattan moved a lot, and the politicians changed the districts frequently---I think.

The New York County Clerk had a card index for the 1905, 1915 and 1925 State censuses, which would translate a street address to an A.D. and E.D.

Reg Niles

This thread: