NYBROOKLYN-L ArchivesArchiver > NYBROOKLYN > 2008-09 > 1221142668-01
Subject: [BKLYN] Ancestry.com Controversey
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 10:17:48 -0400
I have read with great interest the debate of Ancestry.com's ability, or inability, depending on your personal experience, to keep private records just that, private.
I just happened to be in contact with Ancestry's help desk because none of my pictures were available unless I personally invited a guest to view my tree and I wanted to know why. After providing an answer, (which seemed acceptable to me, i.e., it takes them time to index all the pic's) I posed the question about privacy. I am pasting below the response that I received. I am not taking a stand for or against Ancestry.com - simply passing along their explanation for those interested!
Response (Robert) 09/11/2008 09:32 AM
We appreciate your message.
While our filters work 99 percent of the time that still leaves 1% and with a database as large as ours that is enough to cause the stir you are talking about. We are always trying to improve our systems but their is no 100% in software unfortunately. If you have further questions you can contact our privacy department directly at .
If there is anything else with which we might assist you, please let us know.