NYALBANY-L Archives

Archiver > NYALBANY > 2007-11 > 1194061463

Subject: Re: [NYALBANY] hazard wilcox
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 23:44:23 -0400

Karl,

Here are some notes from my "Families of the Old Cambridge District" collection.

Hazard WILCOX (sometimes WILLCOX.)

Overseer of Roads 1773 Walloomsack (Cambridge earliest town record
book at NYS Archives.)

See mention in: Burleigh, H.C., comp., "Confiscations of Loyalists,"
1970. United Empire Loyalists, Toronto.

Mentioned in, and facsimile signature of, in Lord, Philip Jr., "War
Over Walloomscoick," 1989.

See also: Mark, Irving, "Agrarian Conflicts in Colonial Times,
1711-1775," NY 1965.

See also: "Patent Maps and Patent Deeds" at NYS Library & Archives
(Manuscript Lease from John DeLANCEY to Hazard WILCOX, for Lot No. 6,
10 MAY 1771.)

It is "possible" that it was Hazard WILCOX who killed on PERRY with a
stick in land dispute, pre rev war.

Land confiscated, Judgement 14 JUL 1782.

He was a partner with John WALWORTHS and seven other petitioners for
parts of the lands in the estate of George CLARKE in memorandum by
Goldsboro BANYAR 07 AUG 1770.

Was listed as being "of Bennington in the County of Albany" in May 1772.

------------------

That's all the notes I have on his sheet, but here are some additional
thoughts that I "think" I remember having seen or read somewhere and
probably the notes would be in one of my old field books and never got
put on this Family Group Sheet. I "think" I have seen where he joined
a British Unit during the war. I "think" he later removed to up
around Lake George, but then I "think" I also remember that he went to
Canada.

I know that I have stumbled across him many times over the past 40 or
so years, but have nothing at all definite on him other than the above
notes.

I would LOVE to know more, in particular his ancestry and descendants.
Are you related?

Phil Lord's book will give you a pretty good picture of his Battle of
Bennington activities (which did not take place in Vermont, but in
Hoosick, NY.)

Good luck searching the word Walloomsac. I have seen it spelled at
least two dozen ways (no exaggeration!) The locality is also referred
to as "St. Croix," with another dozen or so variant spellings. Keep
an eye out for him in any papers or manuscripts in the above named
BANYAR, CLARKE, DeLANCEY names.

Dick Hillenbrand - Upstate New York Genealogy - www.unyg.com

This thread: