NYALBANY-L Archives

Archiver > NYALBANY > 2007-06 > 1180788486

Subject: Re: [NYALBANY] -- seeking help for mcmillens --
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 12:48:06 +0000

Cliff,

I have found researching municipal boundary lines in New York state to be difficult at best. So when I found Thorne's book in the New York State Library, I bought a copy.

I too have found some discrepancies between the 18th century Albany County real estate tax records and Thorne's book. However, as inaccurate as Thonre may be at times, I feel that her book is still much more accurate than the over simplified "sound bites" that pass as history. I feel that a prime example of this type of over simplification is the statement that either states or implies that 18th century Charlotte County was identical to present day Washington County.

Thank you for pointing out the inaccuracies that you have found in Thorne's book. I shall make note of them. However, since my research is focused on the period of time between 1764 and 1777, I do not feel that your findings will impact either my work or answering questions about people, who had served in Charlotte County militia.

Sincerely,

Leslie

From: Cliff Lamere <>