NYALBANY-L Archives

Archiver > NYALBANY > 2003-12 > 1070638684

From: Kathleen Prior <>
Subject: Re: [NYALBANY] Grattan/Benson
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 10:38:06 -0500

Hi Nancy,

My records show that my Great Grandfather was born in Green Island in 1850. Do
you have the directory for Green Island? If you do, would you mind doing a look
up for me? I would be very grateful. I am trying to find out and confirm where
they were living in the early 1850's. The family is as follows:

"Josiah" William WHIPPLE (Father) (1850 Census shows him using his middle name)
Margaret J. WHIPPLE (Mother)
Helena J. WHIPPLE (dau)
Able WHIPPLE (son)
Daniel Sawyer WHIPPLE (son)
Dorris William WHIPPLE (son) - my G-Grandfather

Thank you so much for any help that you may give me.

Kathy Prior
Executive Assistant
Bayer HealthCare
Technical Operations - North America
973-254-4621
973-408-8122 (Fax)

"Nancy"
< To:
er.rr.com> cc:
Subject: [NYALBANY] Grattan/Benson
12/05/2003 09:47
AM
Please respond to
NYALBANY-L

Dear Bailey,
Try, try again! I finally remembered that West Troy was in the back of the 1859
Troy Directory CD (along with Green Island). Sounds obvious. For some reason
I thought it was in the back of some Albany city directories.
West Troy, 1859:
There are 2 Grattans including Patrick, and 2 Grattons. It may be the same
surname, just spelled differently in the directory.
Gratton, John, laborer, house Union, near George
Gratton, John Jr., boatman, boards Union, near George
Grattan, Lawrence, teamster, house Bulington, cor. Utica
Grattan, Patrick, postmaster, house Union, near Ohio

There were no Bensons listed in West Troy in 1859. However, there were many
Bensons in the City of Troy, including Mary E., widow, house 5 Laundry place. I
printed the pages and will snail mail them to you if you like.
~Nancy Q

This thread: