NORCAL-L Archives

Archiver > NORCAL > 2008-03 > 1205538200

Subject: Re: [NORCAL] Rootsweb announcement
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 19:43:20 EDT

In a message dated 3/14/2008 4:29:17 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
writes:

Well here is my two cents. Ancestry is really having financial problems
because of the price they charge for a subscription. What's happening is
that LDS Family History Library in SLC is in the process of putting all of
their record on line FREE OF CHARGE to anyone. Ancestry wanted to charge all
the Family History Centers something like $15,000,000 for the use of
Ancestry. LDS is now in the process of doing all of the records in the big
Granite Mts where they keep copies and process all of the records. They also
are asking church members, genealogy societies, historical societies and any
one else to help index those records on line. I have helped index several
censuses. You can't believe all that's been done so far, unfortunately we
have a long way to go.

Jim is absolutely right. I just returned from SLC and got an in-depth
description of
what is going on and a request to join in. We "volunteers" get known, I
guess ;-)
You can choose the type of record you wish to index; it doesn't have to be a
census, although that is one of the things on which they are concentrating.
It's a
good system - one person does an index, another double checks, and where
there
are variations, a third takes a look and makes a final decision.

If you are interested, contact the library.

Cathy

Marin Co., CA