NORCAL-L Archives

Archiver > NORCAL > 1998-01 > 0883997621

From: "Harleigh and Sandy Winkler" <>
Subject: Re: Early California Ranches
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 02:53:41 -0800

William Disbro, Ronald Morgan and Fawn Silva:

On 11/15/97 I purchased the "California Brand Book 1973", which contains a
listing of the brands that were registered with the Bureau of Livestock
Identification, California Dept. of Food and Drug, as of 8/25/1972.
Sandy thought I had really lost it this time, but I thought it was
interesting and might come in handy in our research. I had and have family
in the cattle business that goes back into the 1870's and beyond.

It is listed in alpha order by brands, not by name of the ranchers, nor by
order of brand issuance. The book gives a description of the each brand,
the location on the cattle, horse, mule, sheep and so on, the brand number,
a description of the ear marking and the ear marking number. The ear
marking number indicates the county in which the brand is/was registered.
It contains the name(s) to whom each brand is registered and the address.

William, I could not find any Disbro listed. I did not attempt to try to
locate brand number 2, if there was such a brand number issued, since the
book consists of 813 pages, with 42 brands per page. Do you know if the
brand is still in use and registered and under whose name(s). If you do I
can look it up.

Ronald, I found brands listed under the following McIntosh names (no
listing for The Bay Ranch):

John T., in Red Bluff, brand #2655 on right hip, ear mark #8, Tehama Co.
Bruce and John J., in Red Bluff, brand 28358 on left hip, ear mark #8,
Tehama Co.
Gary J., in Coarsgold, brand #106843 on right hip, ear mark #45, Madera Co.
Hazel I., in Selma, brand #35646 on left shoulder, ear mark #44, Fresno,
Co.
John W., John B. and Gladstone B., in Strathmore, brand #40368 on left
shoulder, ear mark #48, Tulare
Lee, in Bishop, brand #72106 on left hip, ear mark #49, Inyo Co.
Mace, in Red Bluff, brand #103751 on left rib, ear mark #8, Tehama Co.
Wade, in Red Bluff, brand # 103743 on left hip, ear mark #8, Tehama Co.

I didn't find a listing in the Chico area of Butte County, but Tehama
County adjoins Butte County directly to the west and Red Bluff is about a
half hours drive from Chico. Maybe the Red Bluff McIntosh's might be a
connection to yours.

Fawn, I found brands listed for the following Borba names, but none for an
Ignatio Garcia Borba, and none in the Hollister-San Juan Bautista area:

A. J. and Sons (A.J., Ross, Darril), in Riversdale, brand #82793 on left
rib, ear mark #44, Fresno Co.
Carl Gomes, in Hanford, brand #102840 on left hip, ear mark #47, Kings Co.
Clarence A, in El Nido, brand #37308 on right hip, ear mark #40, Merced Co.
Clarence A., Jr., in Piedra, brand #98355 on right hip, ear mark #44,
Fresno Co.
Frank C., in Snelling, brand #97171 on left hip, ear mark #40, Merced Co.
Frank Gomes, in Porterville, brand #32326 on right hip, ear mark #48,
Tulare Co.
Frank Jr., in Visalia, brand #93362 on right hip, ear mark #48, Tulare Co.
Frank V., in Stockton, brand #71161 on right hip, ear mark #30, San Joaquin
Co.
George and Dolores, in Chino, brand #95829 on left hip, ear mark #54, San
Bernardino Co.
Joe A., in Turlock, brand #77301 on right hip, ear mark #34, Stanislaus Co.
Joe R., in Modesto, brand #112307 on left hip, ear mark #34, Stanislaus Co.
John, in Turlock, brand #77301 on right hip, ear mark #34, Stanislaus, Co.
John, Pedro Antonio Sr., in Onterio, brand #95455 on right hip, ear mark
#54, San Bernardino Co.
John, in Winton, brand #106745 on right hip, ear mark #40, Merced Co.
John and Dorothy, in Willows, brand #70424 on right hip, ear mark #11,
Glenn Co.
John, in Merced, brand #75109 on right hip, ear mark #40, Merced Co.
John & Sons (John, John Jr., Thomas), in Chino, brand #116055 on right hip,
ear mark#54,San Bernardino
John A. Jr., in Crows Landing, brand #112590 on left rib, ear mark #34,
Stanislaus Co.
John A. Jr., in Merced, brand #108327 on right hip, ear mark #40, Merced
Co.
John C., in Los Banos, brand #114075 on right hip, ear mark #40, Merced Co.
John S., in Modesto, brand #72758 on right hip, ear mark #34, Stanislaus
Co.
Johnny, in Oakdale, brand #114460 on right hip, ear mark #34, Stanisalus
Co.
Jose C., in Hanford, brand #112750 on right hip, ear mark #47, Kings Co.
Joseph Borba and Joe Escabar Jr., in Newman, brand #116244 on left hip, ear
mark #34, Stanislaus Co.
Joseph Sr., in Newman, brand #93490 on left hip, ear mark #34, Stanislaus
Co.
Joseph Antonio, in Chino, brand #94880 on right hip, ear mark #54, San
Bernardino Co.
Joseph C., in Hanford, brand #83862 on right hip, ear mark #47, Kings Co.
Lawrence A., in Onterio, brand #109666 on right rib, ear mark #54, San
Bernardino, Co.
Lloyd E. and Carolyn L., in Modesto, brand #112568 on left hip, ear mark
#34, Stanislaus Co.
Manuel A., in Tulare, brand #55568 on right hip, ear mark #48, Tulare Co.
Manuel F. Jr., in Lemoore, brand #59099 on left hip, ear mark #47, Kings
Co.
Pete ,Jr., Estate of, in Onterio, brand #97446 on left hip, ear mark #54,
San Bernardino Co.
Pete & Sons (Pete, Sr. & Jr., Joseph), in Onterio, brand #58764 on left
hip, ear mark #54, San Bernardino
Tony, in Stockton, brand #88399 on right hip, ear mark #30, San Joaquin Co.
Tony J., in Turlock, brand #111552 on left hip, ear mark #34, Stanislaus
Co.

I did not list the several brands listed for the Garcia surname. Let me
know if you want me to list them for you.

At the printing of this 1973 brand book, copies of the California Brand
Book could be purchased by writing the State of California, Documents
Section, P. O. Box 20191, Sacramento, Ca. 95820. I don't know if this
address is still a good one.

The Bureau of Livestock Identification was at 1220 "N" Street, Sacramento,
Ca. 95814. You may obtain some historical information from them.

Hope this info is of some help to each of you!

Harleigh Winkler

This thread: