NJMONMOU-L Archives

Archiver > NJMONMOU > 1999-06 > 0929886392

From: <>
Subject: Re: [NJMONMOU-L] NJ people in Ohio
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 09:46:32 EDT

In a message dated 6/20/99 8:35:45 AM Central Daylight Time,
writes:

> "All sw Ohio has many JERSEYMEN,in part to a 1788 sale of 3,000,000 acres
> to JUDGE John Cleves Symmes,et al buy the Contential Congress" ??

Page 1 AROUND MASON, OHIO: A STORY by Rose Marie Springman

"In August of 1788 John Cleves Symmes came from New Jersey down the Ohio
River to the area between the two Miami Rivers to oversee the surveying and
selling of 311,682 acres he hoped to own there. Actually he wanted millions
of acres but the federal government narrowed his wishes. . . . . . Symmes
was so sure he would be granted his request that within a few months he began
the sale of the land. . . . . . John Cleves Symmes began the town they
called Losantiville, later to be renamed Cincinnati."

>From my personal observations: Almost all of my grandfather's ancestors were
from New Jersey, Monmouth and Orange counties, by way of southwest Ohio.

Jeanie in Texas

This thread: