NJESSEX-L Archives

Archiver > NJESSEX > 2006-10 > 1160035359

Subject: [NJESSEX] Woodruff, Markwith, etc
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 04:02:39 EDT

Both parents of Hannah Markwith's husband Thomas Ogden Woodruff (1804-1889),
of Caldwell, Essex, NJ, are cousins of mine---> Samuel Woodruff (1786-1858)
and Elizabeth Ogden (1789-1813). Thus I got interested in Dot's query below.
Even though I'm a Senior Citizen, these people are even older than I am.

The 1850, 1860, and 1870 US censuses (via Ancestry.com) locate Richard
Markwith (born ca. 1789), a shoemaker, and his wife Rachel (born ca. 1791) in
Berkshire Twp., Delaware County, Ohio. Also, the 1850 Census spells their
surname "Marquith" and the 1870 Census lists Richard as the son of two foreign-born
parents (Germans?).

The earlier 1830 and 1840 US censuses, which lists only head of households,
locate Richard Markwith in Orange, Essex County, NJ. Perhaps his first wife
Elizabeth (or Esther Ward?), apparently the mother of almost all of his many
children, died in NJ in the 1830s. And maybe he then married Rachel (a
widow?) in NJ in 1836 (both NJ natives) and perhaps both then soon moved to Ohio.

In the 1760s, apparently, in East Grinstead, England, Richard's likely
father, John Markwith, was given a death sentence as a horse thief-- a punishment
later commuted to exile in America.

Maybe, Dot, you already have the Markwith info I copied and appended below.

Apparently there is some uncertainty as to just how Thomas Ogden Woodrurff
is descended from my ancestor John WOODRUFF (1604-1670), who arrived in
America ca. 1639. However, page 228 and previous pages in William Ogden Wheeler's
excellent 1907 OGDEN genealogy
(http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?dbid=21086) clearly track Thomas' mother Elizabeth Ogden's ancestry back to my ancestor
(through several different lineages) John OGDEN (1609-1682). John arrived
in CT as a stonemason ca. 1641 and later served as NJ Governor in the early
1670s.

Both John Ogden and some of John Woodruff's children helped found the
Elizabethtown (NJ) colony in 1664-1665. My understanding is that the Woodruff
surname later became the most common surname in the Elizabeth area in the 18th
and 19th centuries ..........John (in metro Chicago)