NJESSEX-L Archives

Archiver > NJESSEX > 2002-10 > 1036036672

From: "Joan M. Lowry" <>
Subject: RE: [NJESSEX] Veteran's graves
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 22:58:07 -0500

Anne,

Well, that would be Essex County, of course. But the real question is -
what part of the county government system do you need? I think the answer
is, or used to be, the Essex County Veteran's Affairs Office. I don't
recall ever coming across this office in the Essex County Courthouse
complex, but it is probably there - somewhere. (I could tell you where it
is in Hudson County - but that won't help you any.)

I couldn't find any listing for Veteran's Affairs in Essex County sources.
There is, however, a NJ State Veteran's Affairs website:
http://www.state.nj.us/military/veterans/index.html This might be a place
to start. They do have a "contact us" field. They should be able to direct
you to the right office.

The State Archives in Trenton probably will also have some information on
your soldier. I think they have cemetery records for veterans for this time
period and possibly other service records. However, all of that is likely
to be on microfilms that are part of the "county collections," and they
can't search them for you. You could see if someone on the Mercer County
list could check them for you - or hire a researcher to check the archives
materials for you.

If you would like a list of professional researchers who work in NJ please
send me your snail mail address and I can send you a copy of the list. It
is provided by the Genealogical Society of New Jersey and has just been
updated.

Good Luck.

Joan M. Lowry
mailto:

> -----Original Message----- <snipped>
>
> I learned from the Cemetery that he was buried in the Veterans
> section. They
> had little information on him but told me that the "County" had
> the records
> on the Veterans.
>
> Can anyone tell me who the "County" might be?

This thread: