NIR-TYRONE-L Archives

Archiver > NIR-TYRONE > 2011-04 > 1303976903

From: "" <>
Subject: Re: [NIR-TYRONE] john bailey
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 07:48:23 -0000

Author: elwynsoutter1
Surnames:
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.britisles.ireland.tyr.general/7155.1/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

Statutory recording of births only started in 1864 in Ireland, so you won't find a birth certificate for either ancestor. You might find their baptisms but to do that you really need to know their exact religion and parish where they were born in order to check parish records effectively.

You don't say what religion John & Catherine were. RC marriages were only recorded in the statutory registers from 1864 onwards too, so if they were RC you would need to find the place they married and again check the church records (which are not on line). Protestant and nonconformist marriages were recorded from 1845 onwards in the statutory records. I have looked for a John Bailey marriage in Tyrone, and there is one in Gortin (Volume 6, page 129) but he does not appear to have married a Catherine so I don't think that can be it.

Details of the surviving church records can be found on the PRONI website:

www.proni.gov.uk/index/research_and_records_held/catalogues_guides_indexes_and_leaflets/online_guides_and_indexes.htm

Important Note: