NIR-DOWN-L Archives

Archiver > NIR-DOWN > 2008-01 > 1200376695

From: Hugh Macartney <>
Subject: Re: [NIR-DOWN] lookup request - from Books by David Dobson
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 21:58:15 -0800

The Scottish name Hamilton is found all oer Ireland, but especially in
Ulster where it is among the thirty most common names. The original family
ws Norman deriving from Walter Fitz Gilbert of Hambeldone noted in 1295.
Hambleton was in Yorkshire. No less than six of the 50 undertakers and two
of the nine undertakers arranged for huge amounts of land they were given to
be leased. In the late 19th.C Antrim the main concentration was in the
barony of Upper Dunluce and in Down around Dromara Thompson is equally
common in England, Ireland and Scotland and means, "son of Thom". Thomas was
a common Anglo-Norman personal name. Many Thomsons came from Ayrshire. The
name of various Tompson clans was anglicised. Some Scottish MacThomsons,
etc. came to Ulster after Montrose was killed in 1644 and the clan
scattered.