NFLD-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > NFLD-ROOTS > 2008-12 > 1228447161

Subject: [NL-ROOTS] Ships and Seafarers of Atlantic Canada
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 03:19:21 +0000 (UTC)

Does anyone have access to the Ships and Seafarers of Atlantic Canada that do a lookup for me? I am looking for my 2 x great grandfather, John Morrissey and his younger brother, James. Together they owned 2 ships. In the early 1870’s, while on a trip from St. John’s, Newfoundland to Sydney, Nova Scotia, on a littler steamer named “The Hawk”, John was washed overboard and his body never recovered.

John Morrissey, was born at sea, in the 1840’s, while his mother was on a little vessel, named “The Cabot”, from St. John’s to St. Mary’s, Newfoundland. So, John was born and died at sea.I have had a time trying to locate anything on either ship. Can someone help me in this endeavor?

Also, would John's birth certificate be in St. John's, where he lived or in St. Mary's, where they landed? Since he was washed overboard, where would
his death certificate be filed?

Bill Karr in Peoria, IL., USA

This thread: