NCSURRY-L Archives

Archiver > NCSURRY > 2005-03 > 1109784601

From: teresa stuart <>
Subject: Re: [NCSurry] Henry Norman and Ann(ie) Cockerham
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 09:30:01 -0800 (PST)

Did you ever take into consideration that all the info. on the Surry Co Heritage books may not be correct? I know they made mistakes with my Snow line.
Teresa Stuart de Rios

wrote:
Regarding Henry Norman and Ann(ie) Cockerham, the authors below do not give
his birth date and their marriage date, nor do they give a death date for
Ann(ie)'s father, David Cockerham. David had a first marriage in 1790, there is
no date for his second marriage, and birthdates are given for only seven of his
children (1798 - 1809). I inferred that David's 13 children were from the
second marriage: however, some may be from the first marriage. Annie could
have been born as early as 1790, making her at least 40 years younger than
husband Henry Norman (who was born about 1750, according to Laura), which is
rare, but possible, especially if the groom married a second or third time. The
authors below say that Henry Norman died in 1820, not 1808, as Laura notes.
They list two of Henry Norman's children: Matthew Henry (born 1777, who would
have been a more likely age for Ann(ie)'s husband) and William (born 1781).
Henry Norman who married Ann(ie) Cockerham must have had an earlier marriage
and his wife is on the 1784 census. Maybe there were two or more Henry
Normans with wives named Ann(ie)! (Source of information is "Daniel Chandler
Cockerham", Jackson, Hester Bartlett, The Heritage of Surry County North Carolina,
Volume I00 1983, Surry County Genealogical Association in cooperation with
Hunter Publishing Company, Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Data from Boddie, John
Bennet, Historical Southern Families, Vol. III; Cockrum, Lt. Col. Emmett E, USAF
(Ret.), A History and Genealogy of the Cockrum Family in America; Gladden,
Phyllis; Braswell, Joyce; tombstones, Bible of P.B. Roberts; Cochram, G.W., "A
Brief Sketch, Cochram Family". Submitted by James E. Cockerham. Sent to EDrucke
by Ruth Shuler.)

In a message dated 3/1/05 1:00:57 PM, Laura Wareh
wrote: Unless I haveissed something, Ann Cockerham married to Henry Norman (born
about 1750) cannot be the daughter of David Cockerham born 1763. The dates
do not match. When Henry died in 1808 she was still at home with children.
Henry's wife appears on the 1784 census. They have 4 children, which would be
about 6 years of marriage mininimum or about 1778 for the marriage, making
Henry about 28. EDrucker's message said that David Cockerhams children's births
were in the