NCSAMPSO-L Archives

Archiver > NCSAMPSO > 2006-04 > 1144687345

From: Pat Ivey <>
Subject: Re: [NCSAMPSO] Duplin/Sampson County Carrolls
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 08:42:25 -0800

--------------060600020703020406060302

I was wondering if any of the Carrol family (wives?) may had a
maiden name ROYAL? Alexander, Hardy and Demcy names
appear often in the Royal line.

Jim Cooke wrote:

>My CHESNUTT, COOK, and HOLLINGSWORTH families married
>CARROLLs. They all lived adjacent to or within five
>miles of Six Runs Creek. I see Hardy and Jesse
>Carroll. You can find some data at http://cookes.us .
>
>Jim Cooke
>
>--- Lura <> wrote:
>

>>As a follow-up to the letter I wrote last week....
>>
>>A map sent to me (probably 1800-1850 era) shows a
>>spot near the northern end of one part of the
>>NorthEast River near the Wayne County border labeled
>>as CARROLL'S PT. I had not been aware of that named
>>geographical location. Does anyone know how it
>>acquired that name? This would not be too far from
>>the Great Branch that runs into the NorthEast River
>>where William Carrall MAY have patented land in
>>1753. .
>>
>>Let me tell you why I had hoped William Carroll's
>>1753 grant on "the Great Branch of the Cape Fear"
>>would be in the Sampson Co. side near Six Runs Creek
>>where most of the Carroll families lived. If
>>William had come there in 1753, it might suggest an
>>earlier generation for some Carroll families.
>>
>>Several other people and I are working together
>>researching all the 10 Carroll families in the 1790
>>Census. Nine were in Sampson County and one was just
>>across the Duplin County line which had been drawn
>>six years earlier. After years of research, none of
>>us can go back further, although we have many
>>possibilities.
>>
>>The 1790 Heads of Household are:
>>CARRELL Hardy
>>
>> CARROL Alexander
>> CARROL Demey (Dempsey, Jr.)
>>
>> CARROL Demcy (Dempsey, Sr.)
>> CARROL Elisha
>> CARROL Elizabeth
>> CARROL James
>> CARROL Jesse
>> CARROL John, Sr.
>>
>> CARROL Stephen
>>

>>DNA has proven that Dempsey,Sr., Dempsey,Jr.,
>>Alexander, and Jesse were closely related as we
>>suspected. These all owned adjacent land near Rowan
>>Swamp and Cane/Crain Creek just west of Six Runs
>>Creek. Also living there with land joining were
>>Thomas, Stephen, James, John, Elisha, and at times
>>Moses. We know very little about Elizabeth.
>>Mentioned as witnesses for deeds or wills in that
>>area were also Edmund and Manson. Families living
>>in the same area who we believe intermarried with
>>these Carrolls are Scott and Rackley.
>>
>>DNA has also proven that John W. Carroll (born
>>1789), who was living in the northern part of
>>Sampson around from about 1825 until going to TN in
>>1848, was not closely related to the other group. He
>>may have come into the county later, or there may
>>have been at least two separate lines of Carrolls in
>>Sampson/Duplin County..
>>
>>Jesse C. became prosperous with land, slaves, a
>>mill, and a still - maybe for making beverage, but
>>more likely for distilling turpentine, since the
>>Carrolls were said to be involved in the Naval
>>Stores industry. A few of the Carroll descendants
> [...]

begin:vcard
fn:Pat Ivey
n:Ivey;Pat
org:University of Alaska;System Governance
adr:105H Butrovich Building;;P.O. Box 757780;Fairbanks;Alaska;99775-7780;U.S.A.
email;internet:
title:Executive Officer
tel;work:907-450-8042
tel;fax:907-450-8041