NCSAMPSO-L Archives

Archiver > NCSAMPSO > 1999-12 > 0945012039

From: <>
Subject: [NCSAMPSO] Joseph Dawson ca. 1820-1840
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 10:20:39 EST

I am new to this mailing list and hoping to connect with someone who is
researching a Dawson family (or allied families) who lived in Sampson Co., NC.

I have copies of abstracts of wills of Joseph Dawson and David Dawson,
Sampson Co., NC

According to info:

Joseph Dawson died July 12, 1837, Will probated Nov. 1837.
Sons named: David Dawson, Burrel Dawson, William Dawson, Henry Dawson, Joseph
Dawson
Daus. named: Nancy Holley, Celia Gene, Zilpha Mobley
Granddau: (Dau. of Burrell and Edith Dawson) Edithlizer
Heirs of Joel Dawson (note: in another source I found that he was probably
late of AL)
Dau. & son [in-law?] Elizabeth, Isaiah Warren
Heris of Dau. Elizabeth
No identity to the following: Henry M., Sarah Jane Warren; Sally Jane, Lovet
Warren; Joseph Isaiah Warren; Burrel Warren
Turstee for Edithlizar Dawson: John G. King
Exec: Son, David DAwson, Holley Gene Dawson
wit: Isaac Strickland, John Jones

David Dawson d. June 4, 1844 and his will was probated Aug. 1844
Wife: Martha Dawson
No identity: Ollen B. Mobley (son of Middleton Mobley); Lucinda (dau. of
Middleton Mobley); Mary Elizabeth Dawson (dau. of Burrell Dawson)
Bro.: Joseph Dawson
Exec: Kilbee Lassiter
Wit: J. W. Mobely, Zilpha Branch

The reason I am interested in these people is that I am searching for parents
and siblings of of my ancestor, Joseph Perry Jackson Dawson (a.k.a. JPJ
Dawson), b. Jan 26, 1823-1826 (depending on record or source) in N.C. In
censuses, his mother was b. in NC; his father in MD. I do not know parents
or siblings names, but according to family tradition, JPJ was named after
another Joseph Dawson (perhaps even another JPJ). He died in Dec. 1897 in
Cash, Hunt Co., TX.

JPJ was enumerated in the 1850 Lawrence Co., MS census as 25 years old; a
tanner; and living in the household of his future in-laws, Andrew S. and
Elizabeth Daniel Hartzog. He married their daughter, Amanda, in 1856 there.
She was b. in 1839. There could possibly be a first marriage for him, but I
have found no indication of it.

Amanda and JPJ were next enumerated in the 1860 Hunt Co., TX census. He is
listed as a teaher. Their children were:
Alexander B. C., b. 20 Jan. 1857, MS; d. 21 June 1863, TX
Malvina Margaret Eugenia, b. 26 Jan. 1859; d. 1926 Dallas, TX (my
ggrandmother)
Mary Elizabeth, b. 8 Apr. 1861; d. before 1897 in TX; m. W. T. Hart
Joseph Perry Jackson, Jr. b, 27 Nov. 1863; d. ca. 1930 TX; m. L. C. Calloway
Amanda "Carrie", b. 9 Aug. 1866; d. after 1900; m. W. F. Harper
Allina C. A., b. 18 July 1869; d. 1896; m. Randolph "Randle" Lawson

Do any of these names sound familiar to anyone? I am going through each
county where Dawsons are enumerated in NC, trying to eliminate families. Any
info appreciated.

Thank you,
Teri Oaks

This thread: