NCPERQUI-L Archives

Archiver > NCPERQUI > 2003-09 > 1063584558

From: "zenithng" <>
Subject: Re: [NCPERQUIMANS] 17th Century Death records
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 20:09:18 -0400

Thiis is an interesting question. I am not aware of a formalized system for
collecting vital statistics in the 17th Century other than church records.
Quakers kept detailed records on events and the "comings and goings" of
their members. The Episcopal Church (not yet established in N.C. in the
17th century) kept baptismal and marriage records, some deaths were recorded
too. There were also family records such as family Bibles where events were
recorded. Incidentally, I understand that in many States a Family Bible
pre-dating formalized gathering of vital events by the State is still deemed
a "legal document" as legal proof of dates of vital events in a family
(marriages, births, deaths, parentage, etc.).

If anyone is aware of other "data collecting" systems in the 17th Century, I
would also be interested in knowing about them.

Gordon Trueblood