NCORANGE-L Archives

Archiver > NCORANGE > 2009-08 > 1249228303

From: "Mary Lou" <>
Subject: Re: [NCORANGE] Orange County, NC Quaker records, Lindley & Woody
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 11:51:43 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Suzanne Russell" <>
To: <>; <>;
<>
Sent: Saturday, August 01, 2009 3:40 PM

Mary Lindley was about 9 years old when her father, James Lindley,
died. James came to America from Ireland about 1713, though his family had
originally been from Cheshire England. James was a blacksmith and bought
land in New Garden and London Grove in Pennsylvania. A few years after
James died, his wife, Eleanor Parke Lindley, married Henry Jones. Eleanor
and Henry had another daughter, and Eleanor is the oldest woman to have
borne a child -- in my records-- at the age of 51 .
John Woody came from Roxbury, Massachussetts according to Mary Dell
Wallace in her "Woody Family Tree". He was in Chester Co. by 1736 when he
was witness to a will. Will Book B, p. 15 Chester Co.
His marriage to Mary Lindley is recorded in "St. George Church Register
Baltimore MD", a Family Line Publication by Brian and Martha Mreamy or
possibly Reamy. Mary was disowned 24 Feb 1738/9 by the New Garden MM.
Record is in Hinshaw's "Index to Pennsylvania Quaker Records" Vol. 2 p. 211.
Earlham College in Richmond, Indiana has a copy. According to William
Perry Johnson's research, John Woody bought land in Baltimore 1739.
"Baltimore County Families" by Robert W. Barnes, Genealogical Publishing Co.
has more about him.
John Woody was on the Orange Co. NC tax list 1752/3. Pickard Family
of Orange Co., LDS Film 1636220 Item 4 records a grant to John of 374 ac by
the Earl of Granville. This is where he built Woody's Ferry over the Haw
River on the main road from Hillsboro to Guilford Court House and on to
Salisbury NC.
The inventory of John's estate is in "Inventories, Sales and Accounts of
Estates Orange Co. 1758-1780" . Record of the settlement of the estate is
in "Orange Co. Court Minutes 1762-1766 " by W. P. Haun.
Some time after John's death, Mary went to Blount Co. Tennessee with her
youngest son John. He apparently got some bounty land for Revolutionary War
Service. Mary's old friend, Mary Harlan Evans McLaughlin was also in Blount
Co. with her three daughters. The two Marys were active in the
establishement of the Marysville Friends Church. Both are said to have died
on the same day, May 21, 1795.
Another source not already mentioned is Vivian Woody's "Six Generations
of Woodys" .
Both Joanne Anderson and Hugh Witted have done research on John and
Mary's son Joseph. Have you found any of their work?
Mary Lou Newlin Spindt