NCCURRIT-L Archives

Archiver > NCCURRIT > 2001-01 > 0980078707

Subject: Re: More Help w/North West River!
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 07:05:07 EST

In a message dated 1/20/2001 23:15:16 Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

<< Had thought that Thomas 2 FANSHAW went from Norfolk Co VA to Currituck Co
NC ca 1715. This Norfolk VA/Currituck NC thing regarding the location of the
North West River and the State boundaries is very confusing! Is it possible
that he didn't go anywhere and it was the boundaries of VA and NC that
changed?

Yes, exactly. In the late 17th century, what we know now as "Currituck
County, NC" would still have been considered Virginia. Check the archives on
this list; we just had this discussion a few weeks ago. At the time, I went
digging through some history and found the date that the "Carolina" grant was
made (you know, that's when kings of England who didn't have a claim to any
of this land gave it away to someone else, and it was all considered legal!).

Deanna

This thread: