NA-INDIAN-TRADERS-L Archives

Archiver > NA-INDIAN-TRADERS > 2008-08 > 1219499173

Subject: Re: [NA-INDIAN-TRADERS] trying to figure out the family mess-REPLY
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 09:46:13 -0400

I am told they are descended from a sibling of the famous Clark of the Lewis and Clark fame.? The Clark family of Indiana claim that when Lewis asked Clarke to join the expedition it was because of his experience with the Indians and he and a good relationship with the men they were taking with them.? Lewis though felt that Clark needed the same rank as Lewis held and he asked congress to give it to him.? They refused.? So, Lewis just called him Captain clarm even though Clark never had the rank.? When supplies were ordered for the trip it was done by Clark.? After the 2 year expedition was over there were a lot of pink slips for supplies purchased.? The governemnt refused to honor them because Clark didn't have the rank necessary to purchase them.? The Clark family spent the next two generations paying off the debt.? I have looked into this family story and the government claim that the debt was paid by them.? They also claim that in lue of his lack of rank, because he did !
as much as he did, they gave him the rank Capt. and more property in Indiana than they gave to the other men on the trip even though the land had to be sold to pay the debt.? Clark ended up living with his daughter, poor and destitute.? Merryweather Lewis?? He ended his own life in Kentucky in a motel.? How much truth is in this story I can't say, but I would trust the American Governemnt as far as I can through them.