McCOY-L Archives

Archiver > McCOY > 2004-10 > 1098249613

Subject: Re: McCoy of VA & WV
Date: 19 Oct 2004 23:20:21 -0600

Surnames: McCoy, Merriman, Musselman, Myers, Hayes, Bennett, Kepler, Newland, Pierce, Mollsee, Williams, Mahan, Tulley, Wilson ... and many others
Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/an/IB0.2ACIB/2393.1.1.1.1.1.1.2.2

Message Board Post:

Hello Robert

I am a decendant of these McCOYs from Ross County, Ohio in fact I have a Joseph that would fit in your timeframe. Census says my Joseph was born in MD.

Below you will find some information I have obtained about these McCoy's in Ross County, Ohio. I am still looking for parent's & siblings to my Joseph McCoy and what clan my McCoy's are a part of. Below you will also find my ancesters from my Joseph to where I fit in.

1810 Ross County Tax List - pg 347

McCoy, Abraham - Miami Twp.
John 3 - Union Twp.
Joseph - Union Twp.
Thomas 2 - Union Twp.
William - Greene Twp.

1850 Census - Paxton Twp. - Ross Co., Ohio

McCoy, Joseph ... 50 ... M . Laborer ... b. Maryland
Mary ...... 30 ... F . Wife ......... b. Ohio
Anna E 10 ... F . Daughter ... b. Ohio
Sophia 8 ... F . Daughter ... b. Ohio
Enos 8 ... M . Son......... b. Ohio
Isaac 6 ... M . Son......... b. Ohio
Aaron 2/12 M . Son ........ b. Ohio

Some information taken from the From Book/CD Early Pioneers Ross Co., OH - McCOYs: pgs 147 & 148.

John McCoy & Thomas James were the most noted of the early promoters of commerce & Manufacturing. McCoy, born in Franklin Co. PA in 1772, son of a Scotch-Irishman made at the Antietam iron Works, MD, a partnership in 1796 with Thomas James b. at Shepherdstown VA in 1776 to this effect ...

"We John McCoy & Thomas James agree to go to Chillicothe in the Northwestern Territory, or that region northwest of the river of OH known by that name, thereto engage in the business of fur trading or otherwise as prudence may dictate, and at the same time defend each other in our lawful calling as is usual in all cases of equal partners." They opened a store at the corner of Water & Mulberry Streets in 1798.

McCoy continued in mercantile business for many years suffering reverses during the hard times of 1818-19, and finally, through ventures in pork and flour, losing about all he managed to save. He built the first log cabin on the site of Chillicothe, Apr. 12 1796, and his daughter Marget was the first child born among the Chillicothe pioneers (1797). He died Jan 31 1844 at his farm 3 miles north of the city.

pgs 229

William McCoy came from PA, Green Twp abt 1795. Soon after his arrival, he built the first mill which was located on the Kinnickinnick creek in section 10. This he sold to John Crouse, who established a large and lucrative business in milling. On disposing of his mill Mr. McCoy moved to the site of the old Mt. Pleasant church, a mile west of Kingston, where he improved a farm and assisted in organizing the first church in the township. He died on this farm in 1823. Of his 8 children all have died or have removed from the township, and the old McCoy homestead has passed into other hands.

pg. 237

Religious landmarks of the community the Presbyterian Church located in Kingston, but originally established a mile west, of the village in 1798 known as Mt Pleasant Presbyterian, the society was formed in 1798. Fourteen members constituted the organizing force: William McCoy and wife; James Wilson, his son John, and 3 unmarried daughters; William Craig and wife; William Blair and wife; Samuel Denny and wife, and Margaret Denny, wife of David. Mr. McCoy & Mr. Wilson were constituted the ruling elders, and Rev. William Spear was engaged as pastor.

pg. 253.

In Concord Twp.

On the 26th (May - 1803) Major Manary & Capt. Joseph McCoy with about 20 citizens of Ross county, met the Indians near the Old Town, in order to heal that unhappy breach occasioned the death of Wawilaway. The Indians observed that they had been infomred that Wolff had manifested a desire to bury the tomahawk, and that he was willing to give something in testimony of his friendly intentions. Wolff presented them with a horse & a rifle. The Indians accepted the presents, then took him by the hand and addressed him--Brother, we receive your presents, not as the price of our brother's blood, but as a token of your sincerity, and testimony of friendship.

pg 277-278
Union Twp.

Joseph McCoy erected the first hewed log house in his neighborhood, which was consided almost a palace in its day. It was a 2-story structure, chinked with wood, and plastered with real morter, unlike the usual daubing with clay.

The wife of Joseph McCoy died just previous to the location of the family in Union, and is said to have been the first white person buried in Chillicothe. Mr. McCoy remarried and his 2nd wife survived him nearly 40 years, he died in 1811 at the age of 40 and was buried in the cemetery of Union Church. He was one of the organizing members of this congregation and 1 of its first elders.

Joseph McCoy had 4 children by his 1st marriage and the same number by the 2nd. Decendants of these still live in Union Twp.

Thomas & John McCoy established their first homes in Chillicothe, and John is said to have built the first cabin in the place. These brothers subsequently moved to Union twp in the earliest days of settlement, and then died.

In 1808 Thomas McCoy erected a substantial brick house on his farm of 300 acres which was purchased from the Obadiah Smith survey. The bricks for this structure were burned on the place and the nails used in construction were brought from Kentucky on packhorses. Thomas McCoy died in 1852, in his 82nd year.

John McCoy first located at the mouth of Paint creek, where he remained a few years, but the location proved unhealthful, and he decided to re-locate on higher ground, removing to Union Twp where he ended his days, he died in 1844, in his 73rd year. His children succeeded to the ownership of his old homestead, and they in turn have transmitted it to their posterity.

pg. 279

Col. James Dunlap born in VA in 1768, another prominent pioneer of Union Twp., in 1796 his father Alexander Dunlap purchased land in Union Twp and the colonel occupied. He had a family of 3 children, one of whom Peggy--became the wife of Alexander McCoy.

pg. 287.

May 23 1875 shows a Samuel F. McCoy as a trustee of the Mona Presbyterian church.

Ross County Ohio Marriage Registers 1798-1824.

MALE McCOY MARRIAGES:

DANIEL MCCOY & HULDAH MCFARLAND
Marriage: 07 FEB 1822

THOMAS MCCOY & MARGARET HARPER
Marriage: 08 MAR 1821

JAMES MCCOY & ELIZABETH STOOKEY
Marriage: 07 JUL 1815

JAMES MCCOY & KITTY ANDERSON
Marriage: 03 SEP 1816

JAMES MCCOY & PHEBY BOUSHER
Marriage: 24 FEB 1824

JOSEPH MCCOY & JENNY MCNAIRY
Marriage: 20 JUN 1799

JOSEPH MCCOY & ELIZABETH NICKOLS
Marriage: 07 MAY 1823

ALEXANDER MCCOY & POLLY DUNLAP
Marriage: 20 AUG 1816

FEMALE McCOY MARRIAGES:

MARGARET MCCOY & JOHN STURGEON
Marriage: 08 JUN 1819

MARTHA MCCOY & JOHN TEMPLIN
Marriage: 11 FEB 1815

CYNTHIA MCCOY & WILLIAM PINKERTON
Marriage: 21 MAR 1820

CATHARINE MCCOY & THOMAS SHORT
Marriage: 26 AUG 1820

POLLY MCCOY & THOMAS RODGERS
Marriage: 06 MAR 1805

SILENCE MCCOY & ARCHIBALD STINSON
Marriage: 19 DEC 1822

JANE MCCOY & JAMES RAYBURN
Marriage: 24 SEP 1816

MARGARET MCCOY & DAVID SHAW
Marriage: 21 AUG 1816

NANCY MCCOY & JOSEPH WILSON
Marriage: 05 AUG 1824

MARGARET MCCOY & SAMUEL STOOKEY
Marriage: 01 APR 1815

MY LINE:

JOSEPH1 MCCOY was born Abt. 1800. He married MARY MERRIMAN 22 Dec. 1842 in Ross County Ohio. She was born Abt. 1820 d/o Enoch & Anna Tully/Merriman.

Children of JOSEPH MCCOY and MARY are:
i.ANNA E (ELLEN)2 MCCOY, b. Abt. 1840.
ii.ENOS MCCOY, b. Abt. 1842.
iii.SOPHIA MCCOY, b. Abt. 1842.
iv.ISAAC MCCOY, b. Abt. 1844.
*v.AARON MCCOY, b. 1850.

AARON2 MCCOY (JOSEPH1) was born 1850. He married AMANDA SARAH CAROLINE KEPLER September 07, 1876 in Ross Co., Ohio, daughter of JACOB KEPLER and HANNAH LIVENGOOD. She was born May 28, 1861, and died May 09, 1930 in Washington C.H. - Fayette Co., Ohio.

Children of AARON MCCOY and AMANDA KEPLER are:
i.CLARANCY3 MCCOY.
ii.MINNIE JANE MCCOY, b. July 09, 1877, Bainbridge - Highland Co., Ohio; d. September 23, 1963, Washington C.H. - Fayette Co., Ohio. m. WILLIAM FRANKLIN ERVIN
iii.SALLIE MCCOY, b. 1880.
iv.CLARA MCCOY, b. 1881; m. (1) CHARLES SEXTON; m. (2) CHARLES U. WOOD, January 09, 1897, Ross Co., Ohio.
v.CLAUDE MCCOY, b. August 06, 1882, Paxton Twp., Ross Co. Ohio; d. September 07, 1960, Washington C.H., Ohio, Fayette Co..
vi.WILLIAM MCCOY, b. September 17, 1885 m. GRACE PENWELL
vii.BERT MCCOY, b. 1887, Manton, Wexford Co. - Michigan; d. 1937, Bridgewell, PA m. MARTHA RATTER
viii.HAZEL MAE MCCOY, b. June 20, 1892, Washington C.H. - Fayette Co., Ohio; d. August 29, 1980, Washington C.H. - Fayette Co., Ohio m. ROSCOE SEARS
ix.RENIX MCCOY, b. August 31, 1894, Bainbridge - Highland Co., Ohio m. #1 EDITH SUTTLES #2. ESSIE MARIE NANCE
x.CLIFFORD CURTIS MCCOY, b. July 16, 1895, Paxton Twp., Ross Co. Ohio m. FANNIE MAE PENWELL

* CLAUDE3 MCCOY (AARON2, JOSEPH1) was born August 06, 1882 in Paxton Twp., Ross Co. Ohio, and died September 07, 1960 in Washington C.H., Ohio, Fayette Co.. He married ROSE EMMA MERRIMAN August 07, 1902, daughter of CHARLES MERRIMAN and GENEVA MYERS. She was born March 31, 1884, and died February 13, 1970 in Washington C.H., Ohio, Fayette Co.

Children of CLAUDE MCCOY and ROSE MERRIMAN are:
i.GLENN A.4 MCCOY
10.ii.CARL E. MCCOY
iii.CHLOE MARIE MCCOY
11.iv.ELMER L. MCCOY
12.v.IRENE MCCOY*
13.vi.GERTRUDE MCCOY
14.vii.BLANCH MCCOY
15.viii.MARY E. MCCOY
16.ix.GLADYS K. MCCOY
17.x.BETTY MCCOY

* IRENE4 MCCOY (CLAUDE3, AARON2, JOSEPH1) was born September 09, 1909, and died February 29, 1992 in Washington C.H., Ohio Fayette Co.. She married RALPH L WESLEY PIERCE August 16, 1928 in Washington C.H., Ohio - Fayette Co. Ohio, son of EQUILLA PIERCE and RUTH MYERS. He was born August 16, 1906 in Fayette Co. Ohio, and died March 24, 1979 in Greenfield, Ohio Highland Co.

These are my grandparents parents of George Pierce m. Florence M. Wilson parents of only daughter Georgeanna M. Pierce/Hallemann.

Thanks for taking a look. I do have additional information on this family and additional information on McCoys in Ross County Ohio. I would like to correspond with you about these Ross County McCoy's I am sure there has to be a common link with these McCoy's.

Georgeanna Hallemann

This thread: