MOPOLK-L Archives

Archiver > MOPOLK > 2001-06 > 0991601143

From: Henry Morris <>
Subject: [{MOPOLK}] Capt. R.W. Menefee
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 14:45:43 -0600

Posted on: Polk County OBITUARIES
Reply Here: http://genconnect.rootsweb.com/gc/USA/Mo/PolkObits/10151

Surname: Menefee, Lesslie, Wilson, Warren, Beck
-------------------------

Bolivar, Polk Co., MO
Bolivar Free Press Thu. 1 Apr 1886 page 4

Capt. R.W. Menefee

Capt. R. W. Menefee was born on Clinton, Todd county, Kentucky, October
3rd, 1815. At an early day he removed to Illinois and spent some years
there, then removed to Randolph county, Missouri, at which place he was
married to Miss Rebecca Lesslie, Daughter of John Lesslie, of Randolph
county. In March, 1845, he with his wife removed to this city. As a mechanic
he soon became prosperous, and by his affable, courteous, and very accommodating
principles he soon established himself in the hearts of the people, an
all who knew him, knew him to love. He strictly attended to his own business,
was very industrious, and but for his liberality would have accumulated
a fortune. The principles that characterized the early settlers were prominent
in the Captain's whole life. No mortgages needed to secure a small debt;
a man's word was his bond, and an old friend was never turned away. His
heart was too big ever to oppress the poor. He was never too busy or too
tired to respond to a call to go out at the late hours of the night to
do a kind deed for a friend, and when called upon he was never known to
refuse, if in his power to grant.

His heart was for his country, and when volunteers were needed to quiet
the Mexicans and wild Indians, our old friend quickly responded to the
call, and in July, 1846, in Capt. Roberson's company (of whom only twelve
remain), he with Maj. W.B. and M.W. Mithchell bade adieu to wife, children,
home, and friends, perhaps never to return. During that campaign there
grew an intimacy between the members of that company that never has been
broken. A few days before the Captain fell asleep, when he knew but few
who came to see him, when my name was called he put out his hand and have
me a warm grasp, saying,, "Tell the Major and Morris when you see them
that I would like to see them, but I do not expect to meet with the old
guard any more." In this conversation I mentioned the bounty that the great
giver of all good would bestow upon all that would come unto Him, and he
seemed to appreciate it.

When the war between the states broke out, Capt. Menefee was to the front
again, ready to defend and maintain the flag of his country, and at the
close of that struggle he was, as of old, ready to rebuild the waste places,
and gather around him his many friends and enjoy the purchase for which
his forefathers died-life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

His second wife was Annie J. Wilson, Daughter of W.S. Wilson, of Arcadia,
Sulivan county, Tennessee. The fruit of this union was one daughter, Mrs.
A.W. Beck. His now broken-hearted widow is the daughter of john Warren,
of Polk county. With her he leaves five children, two sons and three daughters,
all of whom are unmarried. May God comfort the wife and dear children.
You stood nobly by his deathbed for fifteen weeks, and did all you could
to alleviate his sufferings. But he must go. The spirit has gone to the
God who gave it, and the body to the earth from whence it came. You can
gather around the mound that marks his last resting place and there bestow
the beautiful wreaths of flowers, plant the roses, and think of his many
virtues, and with an aching heart realize that Father is gone. You will
sadly miss him, but may you by the grace of God say, "Thy will be done."
You cannot bring him back. His chair is vacant; the familiar step is heard
no more; his fatherly voice is hushed forever; the family circle is broken,
and may you in this hour of great distress cast all your burdens upon the
Lord, who will heal the broken-hearted and set the captive free.

On the evening of the 22nd ult. (22 Mar 22 1886), our old friend fell asleep,
after fifteen weeks of hard struggle and great pain, and on the 23d at
half past three o'clock the G.A.R. conveyed the body in solemn procession,
followed by a long train of friends, from the residence to the cemetery.
The pastor of the Baptist church conducted the religious services while
the members of the old guard, G.A.R., of which the Captain was a member,
conducted the solemn army ritual. This scene brought us back twenty-seven
years, when amid the clash of arms the old veterans would with bowed heads,
and solemn tread, march to the notes of the muffled drum. In approaching
the cemetery it was observed that a large crowd had gathered around the
grave where would soon rest one of the oldest citizens of Bolivar. The
ceremonies at the grave were truly solemn and impressive. Thus we laid
to rest one of our good and honored citizens.

The family desires to express their gratitude to their many friends for
the kindness shown during their late bereavement.

This thread: