MONMOUTHSHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > MONMOUTHSHIRE > 2008-03 > 1205099715

From: Margaret Harris <>
Subject: [MON] HARRIS,Newport
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 10:55:15 +1300

I am a new lister to this group and am researching the HARRIS family of Newport.
Through the census lists I have traced back to William Harris born abt 1813 in Magor and his wife Sarah FROST. They lived at Liswerry Common in 1881.
It seems almost impossible to find any positive information about most members of the family as Harris is such a "common" name so I am hoping someone has some relevant information.
This is what I know:
Children of William and Sarah:

Alfred abt 1858 (Liswerry), Eliza abt 1849, George abt. 1861,John abt 1847, Sarah abt 1863.

Children of Alfred and Emily Phillips (abt 1859, Tydee):

George abt 1882, Charles abt 1884, Frederick John abt 1885, Arthur abt 1888, Thomas abt 1890, Ernest abt 1892, Ivor abt 1896.

>From a few notes we have found, the family were strong Baptists and sports enthusiasts, I think that either Arthur or Ivan was the mascot when the Springboks visited in 1906 but can't find any info on internet.
Also one of George's the was killed by an engine on a bridge but again no info. on internet.

Frederick married Alice WHITE in 1908 and he worked on the Great Western Railway. (They are my husband's gt grandparents).
He must have moved to London because the only time my husband remembers seeing him was in the signal box at Paddington after the war.

Fredrick and Alice's son was Alfred William HARRIS born 1909 but I don't know if there were any more children.
Frederick later remarried and had a son William.
Alfred married Winifred GLEDHILL in 1935 in Kidderminster Worcs.

Many thanks fro reading this email,

Margaret Harris

This thread: