MONK-L Archives

Archiver > MONK > 2008-01 > 1201480334

From: DAVID BROWN <>
Subject: [MONK] Monk Family Connections
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 16:32:14 -0800 (PST)

I just joined this List, and see that it has not been very active (since 2006). However, I hope there are still subscribers out there and who also don't mind a long post.

Although I haven't yet determined if I'm related to the Monk family, I have a couple of interesting connections to this family through my Rice family. Nathaniel Rice who owned Old Town Creek Plantation in New Hanover Co., NC, but died in 1753 in Craven Co., NC while serving as Governor of the Colony is my 7th great-grandfather. Nathaniel Rice married at least two times...one of these marriages was to Anne Gibbs in 1726 in St. Clements Danes Church of London, England. As it turns out, Anne Gibbs has some interesting family connections as follows:

1. Anne Gibbs' father John Gibbs was a resident of Currituck Co., NC in the 1680's and also claimed Governorship of the colony in 1689-1690. As a result of a rebellion, he and his family fled the colony in the 1690's and went back to England.
2. Anne Gibbs' maternal grandfather was Thomas Pride infamously known for "Pride's Purge" during the English Revolution and also notoriously known as a Regicide for his role in the execution of King Charles I.
3. FInally, Anne Gibbs' great-grandfather (on her maternal side of the family) was Thomas Monck, elder brother of George Monck, General of the Parliamentary Army, who later was crucial in the Restoration of King Charles II to the Monarchy (and rewarded handsomely for it by being conferred the title of Duke of Albemarle and one of the Eight Original Lords Proprietors of Carolina as well as rewarded a portion of the estate which as I understand it is today part of the Windsor Castle grounds in England).

Anne (Gibbs) Rice's mother Elizabeth (Pride) Gibbs Sherwin and her uncle Thomas Pride, Jr. started a story about Christopher Monck, second Duke of Albemarle, following his death in which they questioned George Monck's paternity of Christopher and asserting their position as rightful heirs of George Monck, first Duke of Albemarle. The case was eventually heard before Parliament in the early 1700's to decide inheritance. I've posted information about this case on GenForum.

In addition to Nathaniel Rice's connection with the Gibbs/Pride/Monck clan, I also see a Monk family in Johston/Wake County, North Carolina who lived near my ancestor Joshua Sugg who happened to be the father-in-law of John Rice, Jr., first Clerk of the Wake County Court, Deputy Clerk to the Crown, and grandson of the aforementioned Nathaniel Rice (John Rice, Jr's father, John Rice, Sr., lived in Craven County from the 1740's through late 1770's). It could be that this association in Johnston/Wake is completely coincidental, yet considering what I've just shared above (as far as Nathaniel Rice's connection with Gibbs/Pride/Monck), I still find it extraordinary! Here is an example of a deed I found from Johnston Co., NC records:

Johnston Count North Carolina Abstracts: Deed Books E-1, Transcripts 2 & 3 (F-1, N-1, P-1, Q-1, R-1) 1764-1791 Vol. 2 by Weynette Parks Haun:
#942 Tr-3:398: Hill to Green. 24 Nov 1769. Henry Hill, Jo Co to Silas Green, same, 20# Va., 157 A in Jo Co on the SS Walnut cr & on BS of Moses Persons br beg at a hickory in Theops. Hunters line then S400p to a pine: W63p to a pine: N400p to a white oak & hickory: to the 1st sta & is part of atract granted to Peter Green by Gravnill deed for 472 A, 13 March 1760 & conveyed by sd Peter Greeen to Jonathan Monk by deed also conveyed by sd Monk to abvove named Henry Hill & from Henry Hill to sd Silas Green...Wit: Joshua Sugg, David Wimpee, Thomas Murry. (no ct date).

Although I didn't find any direct conveyances of land from Monk to Sugg or Sugg to Monk, I did locate an intersting deed in Johnston Co., NC in which Joshua Sugg purchased land from one Samuel Commander. Samuel Commander was living in South Carolina at the time, but his family roots were in Norfolk Co., VA and northeastern NC...he was supposedly a great-nephew of James Harvey, another early colonial governor of North Carolina. Anyway, this South Carolina connection is intriguing as I know John Monk, the Cassique, who was either a brother or nephew of George Monck, the first Duke of Albemarle also had land in South Carolina of which his sons Thomas and Stephen were disposing in the early 1700's. The question is if this John Monk, the Cassique, is related to John Monk of early Craven/Johnston/Wake County??? I see that this has been debated before (at least on GenForum) and was wondering if anyone has come to a conclusion?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

David

P.S. Below is the transcribed will of John Monk, the Cassique (note the reference to Theophilus Paty...could this be Pate, a family with which John Monk of Craven was associated?):
Abstracts of the Wills of the State of South Carolina 1670-1740, Volume 1: Compiled and Edited by Caroline T. Moore and Agatha Aimar Simmons:
John Monke (Monk), Cassique. Sons: Mathew, Nathaniel, Stephen, and Thomas. Daus: eldest Elizabeth, Amy, Sarah, Mary and Ruth, the latter now in England. Brethren {sons-in-law?}: Mathew and John Loder. Sisters: Amy Miller and Ann Mossenger. Sister-in-law: Hellen Loder. Mentions: Thos. and William Loder; Mr. Thomas Barnett, provided he preacheth a funeral sermon at my house; land and estate I have here and in England; Mr. Thomas Thorne. Guardians for said daus. Elizabeth and Sarah: Kinsman Mr. Theophilus Paty, Mr. William White, and brother Mr. John Loder of Kingstreet in Hampshire, draper. Exors: daus. Elizabeth and Sarah, when Sarah is 21 years. Wit: John Gwinn, John Palmer, Sr., William Arnett, Samuel Atkins, Millison Jackson. D: 8 Mar. 1683/4. P: 13 May 1684. R: 15 May 1684. p. 208.

This thread: