MONACAN-INDIANS-L Archives

Archiver > MONACAN-INDIANS > 2002-08 > 1029378610

Subject: [MONACAN-INDIANS] Digest # 29
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 22:30:10 EDT

Subj: MONACAN-INDIANS-D Digest V02 #29
Date: 07/22/2002 11:36:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time

MONACAN-INDIANS-D Digest Volume 02 : Issue 29

Today's Topics:
#1 Re: [MONACAN-INDIANS] The Warrior ["shelley clark" <>]
#2 Re: [MONACAN-INDIANS] You all are ["shelley clark" <>]
#3 Re: [MONACAN-INDIANS] The Warrior []
#4 Re: [MONACAN-INDIANS] You all are [The Warrior <]

Administrivia:
To unsubscribe from MONACAN-INDIANS-D, send a message to

that contains in the body of the message the command

unsubscribe

and no other text. No subject line is necessary, but if your software
requires one, just use unsubscribe in the subject, too.

To contact the MONACAN-INDIANS-D list administrator, send mail to
.

______________________________

Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 10:29:11 -0400
From: "shelley clark" <>
Subject: Re: [MONACAN-INDIANS] The Warrior

Thanks so much for trying but that's the wrong Clark family, the Clarks I'm
looking for aren't related to Christopher Clark. It doesn't matter to me
but let me give you some advice. Don't let the descendents of Pocahontas
see this line. They will go balistic. They'll scream Penelope last name
was Johnson and not Bowling and that she is no relation of theirs. Just go
to a list discussing Pocahontas descendents and you will see. That mess can
get very nasty. Also I've never been able to connect the Clarks, Sorrells or
Southers to the Powatan tribe. That's where I'm at trying to connect them
with someone. If you have any more information let me so I can try to check
it out. I've already been through the Christopher Clark thing.

Thanks,
Shelley

Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 11:00:43 -0400
From: "shelley clark" <>
Subject: Re: [MONACAN-INDIANS] You all are too quite

Hey Edward,

I'll give you the names and dates of the people I'm hunting for. Leonard
Clark over 45 in 1815 Died aftter 1830 Lived in Amherst and Irish Creek.
He married Sally Williams March 12, 1796 in Amherst. This was a second
marriage for both. I don't know who William's first wife was, I believe
Sally was married to a Branham or a Johns in her first marriage. I've seen
it before but the Clarks don't keep records on other families unless they
married back into the Clark and that would only be the 2 daughters of
William and Sally.

Secondly I'm hunting for James Clark married Anna Moseley January 25, 1785
in Henrico Co.

I have the information on their descendents I needed to go further back.

Thanks,
Shelley
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 11:20:52 -0400

Just thought I would pass this along since someone brought up
the Pocohontas stuff. My cousin Nick has done some digging around and here
is what he says:

Strachey, the secretary of the Virginia colony @1610-1612, recorded that the
Indians who came to be known as "Powhatan" had a name for their country -
Tsenacomacoh. Their is nothing to suggest what the bounds were considered to
be, or whether it included the Land which later comprisd the Chicacoan Indian
district (the Northern Neck). These tribes were not conquered by
Wahunsunacah, the Powhatan. I asked Helen Rountree why she dealt with these
tribes as Powhatan. She said " because they were certainly influenced by
Wahunsunacah's presence. Helen notes in "Pocahantus' People" that other
historians place the limits of Wahunasunacah's rule at the Rappahannock
River. Rountree treated the "Northern Indians" as if they were Powhatan, and
it has become an incorrect tradition to now refer to all Algonquin speakers
of Virginia as the Powhatan Indians. A more proper terminology to use may
well be "Tsenacomacoh Indians" for all Virginian Algonquins. This idea is
restricted by the fact that no one knows the land or polital area encompassed
in "Tsenacomacoh". James Nickens of ?Tsenacomacoh?

______________________________

Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 11:31:44 -0400
From: The Warrior <>

I can offer no connection to yours. I have none that you ask about, though
there are several WIlliam's that are possibles. I would need approximate
birth dates to see if there might be a match. Most of the Williams are
dead end lines as far as descendants go with me. Just have not gotten to
their lines yet.

Now, on the Moseleys. There is a Bolling connection there, as I have
several who married into this line. The best clue I could give is this:

John Bolling and Mary Kennon
Martha Bolling and Thomas Eldridge II
Rolfe Eldridge and Susan Walker
Rolfe Eldridge II and Mary Moseley. The Eldridges settled in Buckingham CO
VA. You might look there. Again I have not researched the Moseley line
at all.

Edward

This thread: