MOMILLER-L Archives

Archiver > MOMILLER > 2009-08 > 1250617273

From: "Nancy Thompson" <>
Subject: [MOMILLER] Roger LeRoy Steen - obituary
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 12:41:13 -0500

Iberia Sentinel, August 30, 1951

Roger LeRoy Steen, son of Waldo and Eula Steen, was born Jan 16,
1943 and departed this life Aug. 27, 1951, at the age of 8 years, 7 months
and 11 days. Roger was the youngest of the three sons, the eighth of nine
children. During his short life, Roger had by his sunny disposition and
willing cooperation in every activity endeared himself to all his friends in
home, school and church life. He had attended three years at Honey Springs
School, was a member of the primary class in Sunday school, the Story Hour
Class in Training Union, and the Royal Ambassador group of the woman's
Missionary Union.

Roger is survived by his father and mother, two brothers,
Sherril and Jim; six sisters, Carol, Jerry, Janet, Alice, Marilyn and Eula
Mae; three grandparents, and Mrs. Frank Steen and Mrs. J. I. Popplewell;
eight uncles, three aunts, 21 cousins and many other relatives and
innumerable friends.

Roger loved Bible stories, especially stories about Heaven. He
sang often the song, "Jesus Loves Me," especially the verse, "If I love Him
when I die, He will take me home on high." Although he did not seem to have
come to a realization of the need of a Savior, his simple acceptance gives
an assurance that his going has brought Heaven a little closer and that he
is waiting there.

Pallbearers were: Curtis Popplewell, Gail Popplewell, Tennyson
Popplewell, Kermit Steen, Holmes Steen and Paul Steen. Members of the
Primary Sunday school class and the Story Hour Training Union were flower
bearers.

News article:

Roger Steen, 8 year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Waldo Steen of near
Iberia passed away at the Waynesville General Hospital last Monday morning
as the result of injuries received in a fall last Saturday afternoon.

Roger and some other children were playing at the Steen farm
home and were climbing ladders on the grain elevators when the young boy
fell. According to the reports told by the children, the fall probably
began several feet from the ground.

He was rushed to the hospital where later his broken leg was
set. Early Monday morning he passed away unexpectedly as the result of
possible internal injuries.

Roger is survived by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Waldo Steen; two
brothers, Sherril and Jim; 6 sisters, Carol, Geraldine, Janet, Alice,
Marilyn and Eula Mae; and grandparents, Molly Popplewell, Ella Steen and
Frank Steen.

Funeral services are being held today, Wednesday at 2 o'clock at
the Hickory Point Baptist Church. The Hedges Funeral Service of Iberia are
in charge of arrangements. Interment will be made in the Hickory Point
Cemetery.

This thread: